CTPL - Compulsory Third Party Liability Insurance.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Am I correct in my understanding that you have to buy CTPL even if you have a full coverage insurance including 3rd party liability?

Knowing my registration is coming up, my insurance agent sent me a quote for CTPL even though I have my full policy with the agent. P625 total for the p100,000 policy.  I bought it right there at LTO for another car, but I don't remember the amount.  Is p625 fair?

• Like 1

Benington
Posted
Posted

Yes, mandatory by law for all applicants.

Maybe there was a good reason in the past why motorists with comprehensive policies had to pay again for a CTPL, but now it looks like keeping it mandatory by law for all regardless is just kept on to give extra income to insurance companies and to make the process easier for the LTO.

I paid P1000 recently, so it's a bit less..

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Went through the same thing a few months ago.  We have full coverage also with CTPL.  However, when we renewed or registration they demanded a new CTPL because even though it was current and purchased less than four months ago, they claimed it would expire before the registration.  So my lesson was to purchase your CTPL when renewing registration unless you want double CTPL.  Typical again like everything else here.:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, intrepid said:

, they claimed it would expire before the registration. 

AH! Now my friend I can see their Logic in that, they are just ensuring that they can see the car will have CTPI. for the full year. Yep it should really always coincide with the Registration time for peace of mind all round. Mine is a new car so it is covered now for the 3 years, When it is time to re register, maybe they will have come up with a System that suits us all But...................Scratching Head.jpg

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

AH! Now my friend I can see their Logic in that, they are just ensuring that they can see the car will have CTPI. for the full year. Yep it should really always coincide with the Registration time for peace of mind all round. Mine is a new car so it is covered now for the 3 years, When it is time to re register, maybe they will have come up with a System that suits us all But...................Scratching Head.jpg

You Jack, you got me thinking.  I should do this sometimes before I engage my brain.  I suppose this is a case of I don't understand the local way of doing.  If I grew up here or have been here longer, I would know better.  So I guess I should admit I am wrong and have some crow.  Anyway, since the last policy I purchased, I am now on schedule with my expire date.:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Went through the same thing a few months ago.  We have full coverage also with CTPL.  However, when we renewed or registration they demanded a new CTPL because even though it was current and purchased less than four months ago, they claimed it would expire before the registration.  So my lesson was to purchase your CTPL when renewing registration unless you want double CTPL.  Typical again like everything else here.:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Hmmm.  I'm not sure how my agent can date his CTPL policy so it coincides with the LTO renewal, but I'll bet he has a way.  I'll find out.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Yep it should really always coincide with the Registration time for peace of mind all round.

Mine never has.  The insurance expires 1 year after getting it and the registration expires on a certain date each year.  It means when I renew my registration a couple weeks before the expiry I end up with insurance that expires 2 weeks before the registration does.

Don't misunderstand me, the system is weird but it works.  Next year I will also renew 2 weeks before the registration expires so will actually be renewing when the insurance expires rather than when the registration expires so I am always covered, for what its worth :hystery:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Somebody at my insurance agency got back to me so I will pass it along in case it is helpful to anyone.

I asked:

My friend bought CTPL from his agent but LTO made him buy it again because the dates were not the same as the registration.  How can this be avoided?

Their answer:

=======

I don't really know how come the agent let your friend took another insurance specially if he already has an one The only reason could be is that the insurance company who have issued the CTPL policy is not accredited by LTO.

Anyways, the insurance period normally follows the ending of your plate number. Lets take for instance your plate number that  AAQ-5900. It ends in 0 therefore your registration month is October. Your insurance policy then will  be November 1,2017 - November 1,2018 and not October 1,2017 - 2018. That is how it works here in the Philippines. The insurance date is one month after the Registration date. Everybody at the LTO and insurance business knows that.

Since this is your first time to renew your registration after the mandatory 3 years validity of your first registration then we have to follow the date of the OR from your previous registration up to November 1,2018. May we asked what is the date of your registration before because we do not have a copy of your OR in our file. So we could properly issue your CTPL policy. And if anyone make it hard on you at the LTO or does not want to accept the policy please call me and let me talked to that person because they should accept our policy.

Hope this clarifies and let me know if you have further questions and we shall await for the copy of your previous OR for our reference.

========

This seems to differ from some information given above but makes sense to me.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Does that 3 year cover include motorbikes.Personally remembering where we live I think compulsory insurance is a good thing.How many locals would bother otherwise or how many expats would bother come to that.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

Does that 3 year cover include motorbikes.Personally remembering where we live I think compulsory insurance is a good thing.How many locals would bother otherwise or how many expats would bother come to that.

Duuno mate but they should have told you when you bought the bike. Azon seems to Remember it does not apply to Motorbikes under a certain amount, best to check 

• Like 2