Chairty is it really Good?

ClearSky
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, scott h said:

So the question is, are we really helping by facilitating population increase when they can not currently feed or provide a means of living? Or is actually counter productive in the long run.  Its a moral conundrum. 

This question has a sister question of "what is the purpose/meaning of life ? "  The answer to this additional question,  will guide the answer about charity.  Usually we do not think about it until most or all of our own basic needs are met,  ppl can have a lot of money and still not have basic needs met.    

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It it in our nature and without it we would still be living a garden of eden type existence. 

Dave,

Would that be so bad?.........I thought that was what we all were looking for to escape the rat race etc etc!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, ClearSky said:

Usually we do not think about it until most or all of our own basic needs are met,  ppl can have a lot of money and still not have basic needs met.    

Very true! I mentioned in another Topic about the Indian Chief "Dakotah" his take on Charity was "It is not so discernible in what is Given but to whom it is given and  & Why it was Given :smile:

Food for thought?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Dave,

Would that be so bad?.........I thought that was what we all were looking for to escape the rat race etc etc!

Yes and no.  What I got out of the National Geographic program is that the "Garden of Eden" type existence can only support so many people.  As the population of the earth started to grow, people would kill each other for the resources.  Picture Cain and Abel.  That's about where it all started.

• Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yes and no.  What I got out of the National Geographic program is that the "Garden of Eden" type existence can only support so many people.  As the population of the earth started to grow, people would kill each other for the resources.  Picture Cain and Abel.  That's about where it all started.

Right on Dave :thumbsup:

We can learn a lot about Humankind by reading the oldest book in the World.

Greed, Envy, Power, it's all in there and there are lessons that are still true to this day.

We have the answer to the Worlds woes, trouble is it's in the wrong hands........Cheers mate

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, davewe said:

Other than the Sam Kinison video I just posted I suppose my personal attitude is if I can help a few people at any level I've done a good thing. I don't believe that governments or charitable organizations can solve massive global issues that are so complex the mind boggles.

Currently Bill Gates is throwing billions to tackle world hunger. Having worked professionally with Microsoft for years if given a chance I would tell Bill that instead of trying to solve one of the most complex systematic problems in the world he might first try to get Windows to stop crashing. 

I would tell him to shove Windows 10 where the sun does not shine.  It ruined my computer and cost me a small fortune trying to get it fixed when I foolishly upgraded from Windows 7.  From what I read, me and millions of others.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
On 29/08/2017 at 6:35 PM, Kuya John said:

Right on Dave :thumbsup:

We can learn a lot about Humankind by reading the oldest book in the World.

Greed, Envy, Power, it's all in there and there are lessons that are still true to this day.

We have the answer to the Worlds woes, trouble is it's in the wrong hands........Cheers mate

HHmmm, where does one start let alone finish? The good book, written by who knows who and when, (the whole collection) modified a hundred times and proffered as a staple diet of beliefs and acceptable social practices predominately designed to control the masses/sheep. The poor looking for charity from a wealthy institution or their countrymen are still waiting,,,,, as they do, financial assistance comes from where? Charity it seems is very misaligned as to what actually hits the ground for the needy, those that have given with heart and the proverbial middlemen. 

Go to Rome, walk around the ridiculous walls of Vatican City, the wealth within is decadent, you will see beggars outside these fortifications asking for food/money along side the wealthiest institution on earth created by whom? A few clever words in a book.

Greed envy and money are all natural human traits, some are better at it than others, control is the winner and guess what, the gullible/sheep over the millennia  elected to follow wise dictates with unseen ulterior motives. No different today.The poor will always be there as charity begins at home, gift a hundred bucks and the needy may see 0 to 30% as these charitable organisations employ people, they need to be paid

Give your excesses to me and I will gladly blow it as I am as poor as the next bloke.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, bigpearl said:

.The poor will always be there

Nice to see you quoting, and agreeing with, the Bible, Matthew 26:11, especially after you seemed to show disdain for it. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Nice to see you quoting, and agreeing with, the Bible, Matthew 26:11, especially after you seemed to show disdain for it. :thumbsup:

Dave the Quote came from my mouth and experience within an interesting but sad world and not from Matthew 26:11 as you suggest. I gather a book or collective writings modified constantly to suit the uninitiated for the betterment of others?

Cheers, Steve.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Next member who adds religion in a topic will be gone as I am sick of explaining the rules. For those who have never read or do not know where to find its here,  http://www.philippines-expats.com/guidelines/