Filipinos and work ethic

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Maybe declare tricycle slalom as the new national sport?

image.jpeg

mogo51
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Here the local will tell you; "Only in da Philippines" and sometime add an eye roll. 

Yeah same result Mike -  I like your personal quote.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Maybe declare tricycle slalom as the new national sport?

image.jpeg

Snappy looking trike.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 9/2/2017 at 6:11 PM, Snowy79 said:

I'm just surprised heads aren't rolling over this. I've given up riding my motorbike and using jeepneys to get about. They must be throwing a dart at a map when deciding what part to work on. The road was cracked before and all they had to do was start at one end and do 100m each side of the road per week. By now they'd have completed a couple of km at least. It has to be seen to be believed.

Even putting gravel on what was there and building a new road on top would have raised the road, prevented flooding and given the new road a stronger base. They're literally building on mud now. 

Sounds like a right mess Snowy.  Hope it sorts soon.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 9/2/2017 at 6:52 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Speaking of roads. Today on a one way street that has been widened to 3 lanes I saw 2 fully grown trees still in the new lane so you have to change lanes to avoid a major accident. About 80 meters further up there was another one. No barriers or warning signs just trees sealed into the new lane. I dont know the name of the road but it's in Cebu city. Wish I got a picture.  :89:

That would be 'environmental concerns' at work, stuff human life when they collide with the trees?  Philippines have joined the 'tree hugger sect'.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I was not sure whether to put this here or tag it to another Topic I had Started but:571c66d400c8c_1(103): We enter day 7 of a 2 day job to re tile 1 x 16 mtr bedroom.

I am not sure that there is any real Ethic to the word Work here somedays, So all my plans to get Furniture move back into the Room and Get our Sala and the Guest room operational again have gone to Pot, seems the Guy we asked to help turn the Wardrobe round for us to where the Tiler wanted it thought it would be OK to day and not Yesterday as we asked, Not only that but he was late and the Tiler started and so now we have this Wardrobe sitting in the Middle of the Room and  the Floor is being attacked the best possible way so the Tiler can try and get  done as much Of Wall the Edging he can. :571c66d400c8c_1(103): It Looks likely that this will not be Finish Today :Mad: 

Jack:angry:

Me, I am going to do what a Retired guy does when he pays for  Construction Work NOTHING But Watch. Then let People I know and Trust (My friends) help me to Tidy Up after as I know they will cos they said so :thumbsup:

Morning All:photo-109: 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

It Looks likely that this will not be Finish Today

Sorry to hear that, but its the filipino way.  Have a cold one and try to fuggedaboutit. :7500:

STMhH.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I am getting some work done on the house before moving in, some repairs to water pump, installing lights, changing locks etc. Plus a major repaint inside.  Could not come at purple walls, bright green (hate green) walls and kitchen cupboards and replacing twith off white colour called 'almost winter' with f 'terra cotta' feature wall in 2 main bedrooms, should look nice when finished.

the idea of a day's work by the two tradesmen ie. handyman and painter is quite different.  On Sunday the handyman worked from 9 to 3 (with lunch stop obviously), admittedly he got a bit done, but could have done more. I had to pack up his rubbish he left behind.

The painter on the other hand arrived yesterday 10 minutes early, went with me to the Paint store, selected what he needed, is mixing all the paint thereby saving me plenty of paint costs.  He worked till 5pm.  This morning he is arriving at 7am and I have no doubt will still be there at 5pm. One out and never stops, except fo 1/2 hour for lunch.  Very efficient, no mess.

Just thought it was interesting the conflict of ethic there.  The handyman does a good job, but just as much as necessary, with a view to  stretching out the job no doubt.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 9/2/2017 at 7:11 PM, Snowy79 said:

I'm just surprised heads aren't rolling over this. I've given up riding my motorbike and using jeepneys to get about. They must be throwing a dart at a map when deciding what part to work on. The road was cracked before and all they had to do was start at one end and do 100m each side of the road per week. By now they'd have completed a couple of km at least. It has to be seen to be believed.

Even putting gravel on what was there and building a new road on top would have raised the road, prevented flooding and given the new road a stronger base. They're literally building on mud now. 

Once there is accountability snowy situation MAY change, but certainly not in my life time. It is what it is, enjoy

RBM
Posted
Posted

We had a group working her on a contract basis, just finished. They were very respectful and hard working, progress payments. We were thrilled as zero hassles, no mess which can be annoying. After the second week we never even checked the job as from the distance looked good plus first week we checked daily.

Finished Thursday and received final payment, lovely boys, we did not even bother to check.....Now some days later we find two posts at rear not plastered and of course not painted. Was it forgotten or does work ethics come into It?  Jury is still out how ever we know where they live, wonder if they kept any money for cement and paint which will be required.

• Like 1