Burns

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I had a lucky escape this morning and it made me rethink some basic first aid. I've got the usual first aid kit with pain killers, anti biotics, plasters etc but nothing for burns. 

My partner made me a bowl of noodle soup this morning. She'd literally just taken it off of the cooker and I heard her saying here's your breakfast. I was laying on the sette and as I sat up i put my hand behind me to spin around. She'd only placed the boiling soup on the sette behind me. My hand went right into the bowl and with the shock I jumped and it went up my arm. I've never felt pain like it. 

I rushed to the sink and turned the tap on knowing to get cold to the burn asap. I then realised all the water in my taps is warm. There's no cold. To make it worse we'd defrosted the freezer last night. Fortunately I had two bottles of pretty cold water in my fridge but my partner had to run to the nearest sari sari to buy ice. 

Moral of the story is to ensure you've always got a bag of ice at hand. I'm now the proud owner of a seriously blistered hand. I know now why they give burns victims morphine. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

She'd only placed the boiling soup on the settee behind me.

Does not sound like she used her noodle.  Ouch.  I'm sure she meant well though.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I had a lucky escape this morning and it made me rethink some basic first aid. I've got the usual first aid kit with pain killers, anti biotics, plasters etc but nothing for burns. 

My partner made me a bowl of noodle soup this morning. She'd literally just taken it off of the cooker and I heard her saying here's your breakfast. I was laying on the sette and as I sat up i put my hand behind me to spin around. She'd only placed the boiling soup on the sette behind me. My hand went right into the bowl and with the shock I jumped and it went up my arm. I've never felt pain like it. 

I rushed to the sink and turned the tap on knowing to get cold to the burn asap. I then realised all the water in my taps is warm. There's no cold. To make it worse we'd defrosted the freezer last night. Fortunately I had two bottles of pretty cold water in my fridge but my partner had to run to the nearest sari sari to buy ice. 

Moral of the story is to ensure you've always got a bag of ice at hand. I'm now the proud owner of a seriously blistered hand. I know now why they give burns victims morphine. 

They don`t seem to have a very good sense of danger do they.

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Alervero is what province people use, it's grown by most households and used for, burns, dermatitis,  rashes and can even be used for sunburn. The wife said, " make sure you plant it and maintain it yourself "  I'm not game to ask her why, maybe something to do with their fertilising program. :whistling:

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Clermont said:

Alervero is what province people use, it's grown by most households and used for, burns, dermatitis,  rashes and can even be used for sunburn. The wife said, " make sure you plant it and maintain it yourself "  I'm not game to ask her why, maybe something to do with their fertilising program. :whistling:

The juice from it has a soothing effect.Just rub it on and leave it to work.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

You may want to see a doctor. I hope you heal quickly.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Old55 said:

You may want to see a doctor. I hope you heal quickly.

Yes he should see a Doctor,I know people who have been scolded by boiling water and they needed skin grafts.Snowy get it checked out.

Edited by sonjack2847
add text
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

My hand went right into the bowl

Burns can get infected so watch it. Now the question is did you rename the soup to "noodle  n hand soup" ?

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We seem to be mixing terms here. A burn is caused by dry heat whereas liquid will scold. They both have different treatments so best not to mix them up.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Burns can get infected so watch it. Now the question is did you rename the soup to "noodle  n hand soup" ?

I renamed my partner. I know that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1