PLDT Fibr vs SkyCable Fibr

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I'm considering upgrading myPLDT DSL "Up to" 5 Mbps plan which only actually gives me about 3 Mbps on average.  These are the 2 plans available to me in my subdivision:

SkyCable: "Up to" 16Mbps unlimited including most common cable tv programs and wifi router 1,999

PLDT: "Up to" 20Mbps unlimited with nothing else included for 1,899

Has anyone got any comments on either of these plans or recommendations on alternatives?  I don't need super fast speeds all the time but I would like a consistent 6 Mbps or better and if I get the PLDT I still pay 499 a month for cable TV.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Other than 'up to' and 1000 up, I wish you good luck Dave.  I am about to pay 1500 pesos month for 20mps which actually deliver between 15-18mps allegedly.  I will report after we get it installed in 2 weeks.  But I am not holding my breath, just wish and hoping as Dusty Springfield would say.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

In addition:  Do any of our members even have PLDT fibr yet?  They also offer high speeds up to 50Mbps with a 300 gb per month cap which seems like lots to me.  BUT I want to know if I can give up the phone line or if its a requirement.  I never use the landline but it is a PLDT requirement to get the DSL service.  Is it a requirement for the fibr service?

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

In addition:  Do any of our members even have PLDT fibr yet?  They also offer high speeds up to 50Mbps with a 300 gb per month cap which seems like lots to me.  BUT I want to know if I can give up the phone line or if its a requirement.  I never use the landline but it is a PLDT requirement to get the DSL service.  Is it a requirement for the fibr service?

As per my post on a concurrent thread, PLDT have been pushing the fibre-optic upgrade but in our area, CDO, it's roll out has not been as fast or as widespread as promised. This has led to more subscribers adding to the already overloaded creaking copper cable network although they deny this is the case.

We have been promised Fibre for nearly two years now but clearly the PLDT marketing department, who are almost certainly on commission, are not talking to the engineering department who seem to be plodding on at their usual snails pace!

i would think the phone is a requirement for the Fibre. Ours is a requirement but it is included in the monthly fee so I guess we get it free. Same as our Globe connection so we now have two phones, one PLDT and one Globe. But we have never been billed for any calls which are free to local numbers. Calls to mobile and national numbers are blocked unless we get some sort of upgrade.

Ken

• Like 1

insite
Posted
Posted

Davao PLDT - Unlimited Downloads - 50MBPS - Ps 2900 monthly - generally good - latency issues from time to time - phone line required

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6585258495

intrepid
Posted
Posted

My neighbor just got hooked up to PLDT fiber plan up to 20Mbps yesterday.  His test showed a ping of 7 , Download speed 12.6 and upload speed 22.2.  He sent me a screen shot because I thought he had reversed the numbers.  Thats it!  He also said the internet seemed lagging although faster than his old PLDT dsl.  Of course I reminded him they don’t promise 20Mbps,…only up to.  Anyway, he was going to contact them today and ask for a check up.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

a 300 gb per month cap

We forum members talked about a cap on usage a while back and I mentioned that I probably use 50 GB per week so I think a 300 GB cap would be fine if that is not a typo on their page.  Anyone using more than that for family use?  Like games, streaming movies, watching youtube surfing Facebook all day?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

You should always ask what the guaranteed speed is and get it in writing at the beginning of the contract.  My Subictel PLDT Fibr guarantee is 60% of the quoted speed.  In my case, 60% of 50 mbps would be 30 mbps.

Subictel is part of PLDT but operates separately, so their plans are not the same as those on the PLDT web site.  For my PLDT Fibr 50 mbps service + Cignal Digital TV (lots of channels + about 15 in HD) + land line = cable box (p230 mo), I pay p3730.  The landline hooks into the FIBR modem and I don't think I could opt out for a reduced price;  all the low priced offerings are packages.

I was very, very happy with my Fibr for the first year.  As I reported here, I had some issues about a month ago and it seems like there are some general issues with PLDT since then.  So now, I am just very happy with it.  Their customer service has been responsive but I have not bothered to follow up on the recent small issues as the service still works fine.

As someone else accurately reported, your speed with Speedtest.net will be highest.  Other measurements will be lower.  If you choose a foreign server on Speedtest, it will also be lower.

I was surprised to see that PLDT is quoting a max download with FIBR.  Is this something new?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I was surprised to see that PLDT is quoting a max download with FIBR.  Is this something new?

I think so.  They have 2 types of plan available.  One is unlimited download for a higher price and the second is limited with higher speed at a lower price.  I believe the limits are to stop people who operate online businesses from paying consumer rates and getting the fast speed at high volume.  But that's just the story I heard.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

We forum members talked about a cap on usage a while back and I mentioned that I probably use 50 GB per week so I think a 300 GB cap would be fine if that is not a typo on their page.  Anyone using more than that for family use?  Like games, streaming movies, watching youtube surfing Facebook all day?

Are you able to see your daily/monthly usage in the PLDT my home Account?