False news

Benington
Posted
Posted

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/927102/president-rodrigo-duterte-revised-penal-code-fake-news

Report coming out on a holiday!

I reckon very few people know this Act was on the statute books here. Couldn't find any past use, but as the fine has been greatly increased it looks like it will be used.

Interesting we have  "False" here and not the more usual "Fake". So if a headline says 5 killed in accident, but it was really 6, is that an example of "False News"? And could technically fall foul of this law?

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Benington said:

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/927102/president-rodrigo-duterte-revised-penal-code-fake-news

Report coming out on a holiday!

I reckon very few people know this Act was on the statute books here. Couldn't find any past use, but as the fine has been greatly increased it looks like it will be used.

Interesting we have  "False" here and not the more usual "Fake". So if a headline says 5 killed in accident, but it was really 6, is that an example of "False News"? And could technically fall foul of this law?

Well this can only be a good thing as there is too much false news.I hope it gets implemented.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)

The fine will also apply to “any person who shall maliciously publish or cause to be published any official resolution or document without proper authority or before they have been published officially.”

So...publishing the truth, but without permission.  Sounds about par for the course. From what I read this is a terribly written law.  It smells more of controlling speech.  I would be more concerned with the blatant lies from the government than any "false" news published.

Edited by Tukaram (Tim)
  • Like 1

Benington
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

So...publishing the truth, but without permission...

Isn't that what whistle blowers do? So it's interesting to look back a year:

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2016/07/26/1606883/duterte-eyes-whistleblower-act

And Sen. Richard Gordon introduced a Whistle Blowers Protection Act back in May. It seems not to  have progressed..

mogo51
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Well this can only be a good thing as there is too much false news.I hope it gets implemented.

I reckon that might be Fake, I will ask Donald.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Benington said:

So if a headline says 5 killed in accident, but it was really 6, is that an example of "False News"?

It may be an example of "alternative facts"  Perhaps 5 were killed in the accident and one was killed by someone who did not know squat about first aid and gave incorrect assistance. :9436:

• Like 1

Benington
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

I reckon that might be Fake...

Well, you might have something there...both the ABS-CBN and GMA online news sites aren't yet showing this news item. If the majority of the public don't then hear it on those two TV channels then they won't know about it and it will just lie there waiting to trap the unwary.

The 3 day weekend will also help.

robert k
Posted
Posted

Maybe it's like the extrajudicial killings claims? There aren't any simple murders anymore?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Robert, cool off please it's all good. Benington did not intentionally put words in your mouth or the like please lets just play nice? 

This topic is locked.

• Like 1

• Old55 locked this topic