Volunteering in public schools = is this even possible?

obda
Posted
Posted

I am a career high school teacher in the United States nearing retirement. I have no expectations or ambition to get a working visa to teach. And yet, I am interested in volunteering in public or private or even university schools - not full time. I am only interested in 20 hours a weeks or less. Is that possible? Does anyone know of people who have done that?

At this juncture, I am not site specific on where I might land, but I would be interested in hearing general thoughts on the topic.

Thanks

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, obda said:

Is that possible

Never say Never. Nothing is impossible, but my gut feeling is I doubt it very much. I think you would need to make friends in the education business here, or use family relationships and a lot of foot work to find the right place.

28 minutes ago, obda said:

Does anyone know of people who have done that?

No, and I have not even heard a rumor about a retiree doing this unless they were associated with some type of NGO group.

good luck  

• Like 1

roddavis
Posted
Posted

Yes it is possible. In my case, I went to the private school my son was attending here in Cebu. The school was only 3 miles from the house so was very convenient. I noticed they had an IT department but would appear not taken care of very well. I went to the principles office and talked with her about volunteering time there assisting with there issues. She was very pleased given my experience with computers and networks and welcomed my help. She immediately put me in touch of who was in charge of the IT dept( another teacher). I assisted with some software builds and repair many desktops. I was able to set my times and what projects to be involved in. They welcome any assistance that I could provide them! 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, roddavis said:

They welcome any assistance that I could provide them! 

And onse again I am proven wrong :hystery:

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

It is not allowed to take a job that could be done by a local, even with no pay.

Some people may do it but if a local complains, you could get deported.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I think as long as you're not depriving someone of a job there shouldn't be an issue. 

All you have to do is ensure there's no other teacher with a chip on their shoulder. :whistling:

• Like 1

obda
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, scott h said:

Never say Never. Nothing is impossible, but my gut feeling is I doubt it very much. I think you would need to make friends in the education business here, or use family relationships and a lot of foot work to find the right place.

No, and I have not even heard a rumor about a retiree doing this unless they were associated with some type of NGO group.

good luck  

I appreciate your honesty. Thank you.

obda
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, jpbago said:

It is not allowed to take a job that could be done by a local, even with no pay.

Some people may do it but if a local complains, you could get deported.

This is good to know. Thank you for your candid information.

obda
Posted
Posted

So, even with a private school, this would be a problem? That's okay. I was just trying to figure out how things worked. I just wanted to keep my brain sharp and give a little bit back..

I think now I will just start a ping pong or backgammon club

jpbago
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, obda said:

I think now I will just start a ping pong or backgammon club

Free play only, no gambling. :thumbsup:

• Haha 1