What Percentage of Your Net Income Do You Spend on Rent

jpbago
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Those of you that have been around a while will remember the major renovations that were done to her house North of Dumaguete, we're back together but both agree that don't want to live in Guihulngnan city

Good idea as there has been about 16 murders in that area in the past 6 weeks.

http://www.visayandailystar.com/2017/August/31/negor1.htm

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/915911/pnp-condemns-npa-ambush-in-negros-oriental

http://www.visayandailystar.com/2017/September/01/negor2.htm

• Like 2
  • I'm Confused 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, davewe said:

Don't know how it is in Australia but where I lived in the US there is no such thing as negotiating rent.

I was renting a house off an Australian/Filipina couple and I negotiated with them.. He was asking 20K a month and the place that was worth it but I knew him and knew he would go much lower if he could not get his asking price.  I got it for 5K a month for 3 years.  Think I got a deal?  The previous tenant was a mutual friend and only paid 3.5K a month.  Yes rent is negotiable if you know whether or not the landlord is motivated and yes, most landlords prefer a married Foreigner/filipina couple as tenants as they make the best tenants (on average).

Just remember location, location, location.  If the house is in the sticks there will be room to negotiate.  If it is in a high demand area . .  fuggedaboutit.

• Like 4

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I think 20% is a good general rule.

As far as current rental prices are concerned we have a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house, generally westernized but no stove, hot water or aircon (I installed 1 aircon in bedroom that also cools the living room and bought a countertop oven and 2 induction cooktops, but no hot water is actually fine), all tinted double pane sliding windows, in Valencia proper for 15,000/month.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

obda
Posted
Posted
On 9/3/2017 at 8:44 AM, BrettGC said:

Dave I don't know if you remember or not, but I used to manage a McMinnimans in Portland.  Yep I was the Aussie venue manager there and the hipsters loved the fact I was so blunt and honest with them; maybe they loved the "irony" of it, but whatever, I increased their margins by about 350% .  This was back in 2010.  Anyway, that's an aside.

You've just confirmed my suspicion of let your girl do the talking and hide or be nowhere near it.  As soon as they see us the price increases.  

McMenamins.  Ha ha. You should see them now.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

and yes they like expats,on the whole,as they are more likely to pay their rent and keep the place in a good condition.

The locals know the locals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, jpbago said:

The locals know the locals.

And sometimes they think they know them and it turns out to be gossip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, sonjack2847 said:

And sometimes they think they know them and it turns out to be gossip.

And sometimes when they know that they don't know them, they still make gossip. :89:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 07/09/2017 at 9:21 AM, jpbago said:

And sometimes when they know that they don't know them, they still make gossip. :89:

Only sometimes...:whistling:

maihuu
Posted
Posted

17% in Makati, quite expensive but I have no choice since I want to avoid traffic

Do you guys think that renting price is going down because low-demand ?