Hurricane Irma Looks VERY Bad

robert k
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, MikeB said:

Just came back from Publix (big grocery chain), no water and few loaves of bread left. Some guy, about 60, was taking every last loaf of bread he could squeeze into his arms, must have had a dozen, no cart or basket. What can you do with that much bread? It can be frozen but if you lose electricity it goes bad. They say you see the best and worst of people in these situations, so far it's the worst. 

Why does it have to be bottled water? not just wash and disinfect the bathtub (plus every jug jar and glass) and fill it with tap water and a capful of bleach? Trashcans full of water for flushing the toilet? Worst case, multiple clean trash bags for liners and fill the trash cans with water for drinking too, you can get toilet flushing water from a ditch.

I know, I know, it isn't as good as the water they manufacture at the store. Just like the lady who complained about my hunting saying why I couldn't be satisfied with the meat they made at the store.:hystery:

MikeB
Posted
Posted (edited)

deleted

Edited by MikeB

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, MikeB said:

Did I say it HAD to be bottled water? I was commenting on the fact that others had stripped the stores bare. Seems like you want to argue about everything. I don't give a damn about your hunting.

Well, actually I was commenting on the people stripping the stores bare. It didn't have to be about you, but take it however you like.

[edit] This got me to thinking, if you thought I was impugning you here, you yourself say"Did I say it had to be bottled water?" which I assure you you did not, but now you think I was trying to say you did say it? I wonder what made you jump to that conclusion? I wonder what other conclusions you have jumped to? Seems your impression of me is set now and there is no help for it. I will try to bear that in mind and be more clear in the future.

Edited by robert k

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, MikeB said:

Just came back from Publix (big grocery chain), no water and few loaves of bread left. Some guy, about 60, was taking every last loaf of bread he could squeeze into his arms, must have had a dozen, no cart or basket. What can you do with that much bread? It can be frozen but if you lose electricity it goes bad. They say you see the best and worst of people in these situations, so far it's the worst. 

Yes, people can become idiots and act like animals in these situations.

The worst hoarding stupidity I saw was just before Wilma in '05.  There had already been a few hurricanes that season.  There was a a gas shortage, of course due to hoarding.  I was getting gas in my car and/or in some gas cans for my generator, and I noticed 3 or 4 idiots with a pickup truck.  In the back of the truck, they had a really large plastic / rubber trash can, and they were filling it gasoline!  I got the hell out of there ASAP.  I could not believe the station was letting them do that!  I didn't want to see which one lit his cig first!  I sure they probably illegally sold it later to their neighbors.

Stay safe Mike!  Do you have a generator?

MikeB
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, robert k said:

Well, actually I was commenting on the people stripping the stores bare. It didn't have to be about you, but take it however you like.

[edit] This got me to thinking, if you thought I was impugning you here, you yourself say"Did I say it had to be bottled water?" which I assure you you did not, but now you think I was trying to say you did say it? I wonder what made you jump to that conclusion? I wonder what other conclusions you have jumped to? Seems your impression of me is set now and there is no help for it. I will try to bear that in mind and be more clear in the future.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. This thing is tracking much closer to us and I am a little tense right now, not so much for me but my wife and child. I've been through a few of these, including Yolanda, and while we weren't too much affected by that one I know people who lost whole families. On top of that one of our beloved pets that we brought from the Philippines has been missing since yesterday and this is not the time for her to go mia. Again, my apologies.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, people can become idiots and act like animals in these situations.

The worst hoarding stupidity I saw was just before Wilma in '05.  There had already been a few hurricanes that season.  There was a a gas shortage, of course due to hoarding.  I was getting gas in my car and/or in some gas cans for my generator, and I noticed 3 or 4 idiots with a pickup truck.  In the back of the truck, they had a really large plastic / rubber trash can, and they were filling it gasoline!  I got the hell out of there ASAP.  I could not believe the station was letting them do that!  I didn't want to see which one lit his cig first!  I sure they probably illegally sold it later to their neighbors.

Stay safe Mike!  Do you have a generator?

Yea, there are stupid people. Anything goes in Floriduh. No generator. Thanks.

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, MikeB said:

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. This thing is tracking much closer to us and I am a little tense right now, not so much for me but my wife and child. I've been through a few of these, including Yolanda, and while we weren't too much affected by that one I know people who lost whole families. On top of that one of our beloved pets that we brought from the Philippines has been missing since yesterday and this is not the time for her to go mia. Again, my apologies.

Mike, quite understandable. Hope everything turns out ok. I remember some good storms from when I lived in Land O' Lakes in Pascal county. I happen to know a guy who was knocked unconscious from a windborne Palmetto bug, it's no laughing matter. I hope the pet weathers the storm. Best wishes go with you.

Edited by robert k
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Thankfully, we got our cat back. I heard a huge cat fight in the neighbor's yard this morning and she was half of it. She crawled under the fence separating our yards I guess, thought I had sealed all the openings. We finally coaxed her back. Another breakaway collar lost, that's the 3rd. One crisis down.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I found this interactive map that is good.  Not looking good for my house there but should be ok if it stays in the center over land.  It will weaken there.

The black line is the current track.

Screenshot (35).png

In this zoom, my house is about where the red X is.  The black line on the left is still the track.  So my house is about 20 miles from the current track.

Screenshot (39)_LI.jpg

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/093751.shtml?gm_track#contents

From this link, go to the interactive map option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Oh crap!  I hope this guy's scaling is wrong!

Screenshot (41).png