Hurricane Irma Looks VERY Bad

robert k
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Oh crap!  I hope this guy's scaling is wrong!

Screenshot (41).png

I hope so too but they get pretty big. No telling what speed the edges are but I bet they aren't 185mph. Maybe the better monitoring equipment makes them look bigger? Or possibly a full size Andrew wouldn't fit in the picture?

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Oh crap!  I hope this guy's scaling is wrong!

Screenshot (41).png

I am not sure if the scaling is accurate, but this is a really big storm.

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Wondering how my current house will hold up. It held up to Wilma in 2005, which made land fall (the eye) about 20 miles south of here. That one was 125 mph when it got here. So we will see.

Castaway
Posted
Posted

Evacuate now and avoid Irma's wrath: 'You can always party later'

By Joe Sterling and Ralph Ellis, CNN

Updated 0239 GMT (1039 HKT) September 9, 2017

(CNN)Residents of the Miami area and the Florida Keys streamed north in packed vehicles Friday, anxiously rushing to dodge Hurricane Irma as the deadly storm took aim at the state after devastating the Caribbean.

The dramatic mass exodus from South Florida could become one of the largest evacuations in US history, CNN senior meteorologist Dave Hennen said. Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties are home to about 6 million people combined.
But the clock is ticking for those who haven't left yet, officials warned.

"Get inland for safety," Gov. Rick Scott said.

The National Hurricane Center predicted that Irma could strengthen into a Category 5 storm again before it hits the Florida Keys this weekend.

"Based on what we know, the majority of Florida will have major hurricane impact and deadly winds. We expect this along the entire east coast and west coast," the governor said at a news conference.

"All Floridians should be prepared to evacuate."

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, robert k said:

No telling what speed the edges are but I bet they aren't 185mph.

Yes, the highest speeds will be right around the eye wall and decrease as you go out from there.   An experience meteorologist in S. Florida gave an example this morning, not intended to be perfect.  He said if the eye was over on the west coast with 150 mph winds, then the outer bands around Broward county on the east side might be 100 mph.  Still bad but much more survivable than 150.

The track has continued to look better for my house and tenant.  This morning the track line (center of storm) was only 20 miles west of my house.  Now it is about 100 west of my house just west of Naples.  So I am hoping the winds will not be too bad at the house, if the track continues.

Not looking good for Naples / Ft. Myers.  I have a friend in Ft. Myers who lives in the storm surge evacuation area and they headed north yesterday.  They didn't know where but they had a lot of offers.  They may go as far as Atlanta.

Gator
Posted
Posted
On 9/6/2017 at 10:11 AM, MikeB said:

We're on the gulf side, north of Tampa. Hoping it goes east which is the usual path. Bottled water was already gone when I went to store yesterday. Panic buying. Trying to get flood insurance today even though we're not in a "flood plain". Turns out the flood plain maps are decades old. 85% of the homes destroyed or severely damaged by water in Houston DID NOT have flood insurance. 

Where you at Mike? 

My mom passed away recently and I'm in Spring Hill (about 75 miles due east of Orlando and 50 miles north of Tampa) right now. Was only going to stay a coupe of weeks to handle her funeral and estate, but with storm approaching decided to stay in case I need to do any repairs. 

Battened down the hatches and will be riding it out. Like you I've been thru a few of these before. Hopefully by the time it reaches us the winds will be under 100mph. Forecasts now say 75+ for us, but who knows. Our house is block, built in 1983 and well built. Codes here st the time were for house to withstand 110 mph winds and as you know we've had a couple of storms in this area that have gotten close to that. 

I'm a little concerned, but am prepared. Cars full of gas, enough food for a few days, water, etc. 

On 9/8/2017 at 0:07 AM, OnMyWay said:

Have you seen the pictures of the Irma damage in the islands?  I don't think any building codes call for "resistance from flying cars"! :smile:

Quite true, flying debris is as much of a concern for me then the actual storm. 

On 9/8/2017 at 1:45 AM, robert k said:

Why does it have to be bottled water? not just wash and disinfect the bathtub (plus every jug jar and glass) and fill it with tap water and a capful of bleach? Trashcans full of water for flushing the toilet? Worst case, multiple clean trash bags for liners and fill the trash cans with water for drinking too, you can get toilet flushing water from a ditch.

I know, I know, it isn't as good as the water they manufacture at the store. 

That's what ppl here do - fill tubs, jugs etc. But unless you've got a way to boil the water later, then it may not be safe to drink in couple of days. I'll be filling the tub and the washing machine, but only plan to use that water as flush water (septic system here) and keep the bottled water for drinking and of course my coffee, lol. 

MikeB
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Gator said:

Where you at Mike? 

My mom passed away recently and I'm in Spring Hill (about 75 miles due east of Orlando and 50 miles north of Tampa) right now. Was only going to stay a coupe of weeks to handle her funeral and estate, but with storm approaching decided to stay in case I need to do any repairs. 

Battened down the hatches and will be riding it out. Like you I've been thru a few of these before. Hopefully by the time it reaches us the winds will be under 100mph. Forecasts now say 75+ for us, but who knows. Our house is block, built in 1983 and well built. Codes here st the time were for house to withstand 110 mph winds and as you know we've had a couple of storms in this area that have gotten close to that. 

I'm a little concerned, but am prepared. Cars full of gas, enough food for a few days, water, etc. 

Quite true, flying debris is as much of a concern for me then the actual storm. 

That's what ppl here do - fill tubs, jugs etc. But unless you've got a way to boil the water later, then it may not be safe to drink in couple of days. I'll be filling the tub and the washing machine, but only plan to use that water as flush water (septic system here) and keep the bottled water for drinking and of course my coffee, lol. 

Sorry to hear about your Mom. I'm right next door in Hudson, off 52, stone's throw from the tollway. I only have a little more than half a tank and I would be scared to get stuck in traffic and run out of gas when it hits. May take wife, kid, dog to high school shelter later. May go myself, not sure yet. Our house was built in 2007, after the 2005 codes were put in so, hopefully, that's good. I'm very concerned, love living here. Hope it dissipates as it travels north. Worst thing would be for it to go into the gulf, intensify and hit mid-state at full strength. Stay safe.

Gator
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, MikeB said:

Sorry to hear about your Mom. I'm right next door in Hudson, off 52, stone's throw from the tollway. I only have a little more than half a tank and I would be scared to get stuck in traffic and run out of gas when it hits. May take wife, kid, dog to high school shelter later. May go myself, not sure yet. Our house was built in 2007, after the 2005 codes were put in so, hopefully, that's good. I'm very concerned, love living here. Hope it dissipates as it travels north. Worst thing would be for it to go into the gulf, intensify and hit mid-state at full strength. Stay safe.

Thanks reg mom. 

Am up close to Hwy 50, between Mariner and Deltona Blvd's. Was just talking to my cousin who is here with me and said same thing about it dissipating/heading into the gulf and making landfall closer to us. 

I know it sounds cold, but the further south it makes landfall then the better for us. If it does veer out into the gulf and looks like it'll make landfall in Tampa then I'll head to a shelter or, if not too late, put the Raptor into 4wheel drive and bug out, lol. 

Perhaps when it over we can meet for lunch or coffee? PM me if you want. Stay safe also. 

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

Rain and occasional gale force gusts. Waiting for the storm to turn north-forecast has they eye almost passing overhead near landfall..

Edited by Reboot

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

News right now is: Irma, now a Category 3 hurricane that is likely to strengthen, is moving away from Cuba's north coast and is about 105 miles southeast of Key West.

I realize they predict it will strengthen but it has already dropped from cat 5 to cat 4 and now to cat 3 so that is cause for optimism.  Stay safe if you are in the path.