Cost of living

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I'll say so, back to Tea & Toast then EH? Tea and Toast.jpg :smile:

On Herby they are affordable but I cannot find their contact information.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

On Herby they are affordable but I cannot find their contact information.

https://secure.iherb.com/info/Contact?livechat=en-US

You go to their main site and select country, https://ph.iherb.com/pr/Weetabix-Whole-Grain-Biscuit-24-Biscuits-14-oz-400-g/34603

• Like 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
On 11/09/2017 at 12:56 PM, Nylsel Joy Aneslac said:

average daily  spending for an average class filipino is P500. Hence, atleast 30000 monthly budget would be enough .. save the rest for your booze

Depends where you are Nylsel, many Filipino workers struggle to earn PHP 500 per day let alone blow another PHP 500 per day on "booze". Aside  PHP 500 buys a lot of red horse if you choose to be kicked.

Welcome to the group, always good to get a local perspective on all topics, please keep contributing and fill us in on the things we miss and oft times overlook.

Cheers, Steve.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

There is some good stuff on there and not expensive to break the bank.Thanks Tom.

• Like 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

well we live and learn and this did surprise me I have to admit;****

When was Weetabix first made?

Both Weet-Bix and Weetabix were invented by Bennison Osborne, an Australian. Weet-Bix was introduced in Australia through the company “Grain Products Limited” in the mid-1920s, with funding from businessman Arthur Shannon and marketing assistance from Osborne's New Zealand friend Malcolm Macfarlane.***

Bet they were UK import Families though:hystery:

Source Wiki

You wish.

Cheers, Steve.

• Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

Lazada can keep them at 2103 peso a box.

You'd think so, and yet a closer look shows:

Sold Out - In Stock Soon

So someone already bought them all at that price.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, bigpearl said:

You wish.

Cheers, Steve.

Investigations through the Bosses Links tell us that it is so, They were of UK  Heritage :smile: But it's Ok we all enjoy the things that came from it all :wink:

Edited by Jack Peterson
Just because I felt the need ha ha
  • Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You'd think so, and yet a closer look shows:

So someone already bought them all at that price.

Well I have seen them much cheaper on a different  website.

• Thanks 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 9/7/2017 at 7:41 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

It must be a matter of perspective because the month you moved here from Thailand, a friend from here moved to Pattaya.  He has written to me how much he loves it, how cheap it is, and how he gets more modern conveniences for 3rd world prices.  He is really proud of his condo apartment that he pays 10K pesos (equivalent of) a month for.  It is furnished and the pics look great.  Much better than I could get here for that money.

So the logic is:  You just arrived to live here, he just arrived to live there.  Both of you have a different perspective to someone who has lived for years in the same location.  It is probably why I like to move every few years. It gives a fresh perspective on my surroundings and adds spice to life.  Plus I can adjust my location to my budget, which means if inflation gets too high here I can move to Thailand :shades:

You are mostly correct and it is about perspective and what you are prepared to accept as trade offs.  My main reason for coming here was for the long term benefit of my wife when I finally 'check out'. 

I lived in a much better condo in Pattaya than I encountered here, until we decided to buy our own property .  The condo I got very cheap (as there is a massive oversupply in Pattaya).  Asked 25k bht, paid 18k bht for 2 years . Currently the exchange rate is very favourable here, 18k bht (720$AU) is approx. 18k pesos  is $450AU.  You can certainly get a studio furnished condo there for that $11k bht, but I don't like living in one room, not for me.

I can assure you after assessing everyday living expenses here now for the past 2 months, it is some 30+% cheaper here.  I have taken out one off expenses, based 'rent' at 15k pesos a month,  drive a car, we eat out a  couple of times a month at modest restaurants.  I included my beer, scotch and beloved Phils Brandy, as I mainly drink at home.  But do go to a bar 2 or 3 times a week and have a couple of beers and a chat for 1-2 hours.  We eat well, buying mainly fruit/veges from local market and 2 grocery shops a month.  My final total cost here was 45k pesos ($1150au per month), whilst in Thailand, my monthly cost was 43k bht $1730au, (my  entire AU pension) 35% difference.

Given I have been doing this type of budget for over 5 years, the costs rose considerably in that time in Thailand (as no doubt they have here), but still a mile in front -  thanks to favourable exchange rate.

There are other issues your friend has yet to encounter once he decides which direction he will take with visa type.  If he goes up the 'retirement visa' road, he will need to have 800k bht in the bank IN THAILAND.  Plus other new requirements they are instigating there.  Visas are cheaper but warn him to be prepared to be treated like a 'dog'.

He is right about the difference in standards of the two countries, I believe Philippines is a genuine 3rd world country but we are still living quite well.  Whereas Thailand is 2.5 IMO and unlikely to go much higher whilst controlled by the Military there.  The Military do not like westerners (farangs).  They are totally Thailand for Thais" focused.

Well got through this post without a crash, lets hope when I hit the send button, it goes thru.  I am p...sed off about the internet//mobile phone rob that goes on here, but otherwise, all good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 9/27/2017 at 7:14 AM, sonjack2847 said:

There are online shops that sell them if you PM me I will give you the info.I did see them once in SM hypermart in Cebu city.

Hi Kev,

I have nto seen Weetabix here but Wheatbix 'that Aussie stuff' is here.  But I stopped eating it as it is not supposed to be good for diabetes sufferers.  But ate both in Thailand and IMO Wheatbix "that Aussie stuff' won hands down but again all a personal preference.

I am trying to eat Uncle Tobys Oats, wholegrain variety, but not really into it.  We have a 'Nutra Bullet' knock off from Lazada and it is so good.  We are having smoothies fruit/vege and I have lost 5kgs in 2 months.  Feeling great, make soups etc with the whiz bang blender and a  great meal.

• Like 3