use of foreign birth certificate for marriage

Cebu expat
Posted
Posted

I would like to ask if there is anybody here who got married in the Philippines and happened to have a birth certificate that was not written originally in English language . infact, probably, most people in this forum are from English speaking countries so they don't need any translation when using that document when getting married in the Philippines.. i searched the info online and most papers to bring are clear to me but little is said about the birth certificate. in my country infact we have different kinds of birth certificate (simple, extract , etc) and one(the extract of birth) comes in multilanguage european style (prefilled multi language). i have one with apostilles (red ribbon here) dated 2004 but i have no idea if it would be accepted as is and i have a recent (2017)simple one not translated and where only my name appears (not my parents) but we call that birth certificate here. in the multilanguage one my parents names appear. how did you do ? where did you translate it? you had to authenticate it i guess? any help is aprreciated. next week i will try to contact authorities there but it is always difficult to get the line. any real experience with this? Thanks!

Ps: the classic birth certificate in the Philippines is an official photocopy of the original birth certificate authenticated by the NSO or PSA but here where i'm from it is not like that. I don't have access to the original that is in the archives. they only issue a statement that says that i was born that date in that place and so on

earthdome
Posted
Posted

If this is for verifying your birth ask if your passport is sufficient documentation.

Cebu expat
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, earthdome said:

If this is for verifying your birth ask if your passport is sufficient documentation.

that could be an idea because sometimes they only name passport in requirements but in other sites they clearly talk about birth certifiate. Thanks

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The only "real" experience I have is getting married in the Phils with a US Birth Certificate. But you need both a passport and BC. And other docs.

The official answer is going to be :

"Original birth certificate (with official English translation if in other language) of foreign contracting party duly authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of his or her country and the Embassy's Consular Section".

This is the Jordanian Embassy but they all say pretty much the same.

I would go to the municipality where you are to be married and show them whatever you have and see what they say. They could accept the BC as is or not. No one can give you a definitive answer as to what they will do. Good luck.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cebu expat
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, MikeB said:

The only "real" experience I have is getting married in the Phils with a US Birth Certificate. But you need both a passport and BC. And other docs.

The official answer is going to be :

"Original birth certificate (with official English translation if in other language) of foreign contracting party duly authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of his or her country and the Embassy's Consular Section".

This is the Jordanian Embassy but they all say pretty much the same.

I would go to the municipality where you are to be married and show them whatever you have and see what they say. They could accept the BC as is or not. No one can give you a definitive answer as to what they will do. Good luck.

ok yes being in my home country at the moment i have the possibility of asking for all papers thats why im asking not to regret later (as it often happens). 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

From memory the above posts are correct. You must have a translated version of any  document and to be safe I would say the original version even if it is a copy. 

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, che ti frega said:

ok yes being in my home country at the moment i have the possibility of asking for all papers thats why im asking not to regret later (as it often happens). 

1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

From memory the above posts are correct. You must have a translated version of any  document and to be safe I would say the original version even if it is a copy. 

If possible I would also get any copies either notorized or with a raised government seal imprinted on it. And any thing that does not have the English language on it will need to be translated. Your embassy / consulate should be able to help or Google search for official / certified translators. 

One thing you'll learn is that government officials in the Phils must like paperwork as they always seem to want more and more, lol. And oh yeah, they also seem to like it when they're very official looking with lots of stamps / seals on them. 

• Like 2

Cebu expat
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Gator said:

One thing you'll learn is that government officials in the Phils must like paperwork as they always seem to want more and more, lol. And oh yeah, they also seem to like it when they're very official looking with lots of stamps / seals on them. 

oh yes i know, have lived there 2 yrs and a half in phils adding up stays. they inherited this from the spanish and where im from is just slightly better but in the philippines is much worse. when they talk about red ribbon their eyes almost light up.luckily there is google who taught me about advance endorsement for a first birth certificate otherwise i would have waited for 7 months. had enough of bureucracy, in my life (im in my 40's) lived in 4 countries already , look like bourne identity but the difference that all my ids are real ahah, have a kid in canada and one in the philippines , travelled to 40 countries. 

i m just tired of moving around and not because of travelling but because of papers in general , airport security paranoia (theirs, not mine)and this police world state we live in and in the philippines, even worse, they put their nationals in a prison and the filipinos don't even notice, a seminar for this , a seminar for getting married, a seminar to get out, a red ribbon, authenticate at court, bla bla bla.  they treat their nationals like babies citing human trafficking(as if they cannot think for themselves) and why is there an adult age then? i can understand if you are a 10 yr old but come on they block at airport filipinas with regular visas . instead of wanting to lower the population a bit they seem to want to want to keep them all there (have you heard about offloading?)

i ve (peaceful) anarchist ideas so i definitely don't fit in.....loved the island of bantayan in cebu , pure paradise, lived 7 months there. but this country even more now is going nowhere as it is (or better im going nowhere with this country lol) and it just got on my nerves. maybe i had enough. i just want to do the papers to get them out, my girlfriend and my son. 

i really don't care about travelling or living abroad anymore. writing this from my apartment in my country and im happy here, dont even want to go on "holiday" anywhere not even 100 km from here. with my family we have a villa in the countryside and there is amazingly beautiful, 60 km thats the maximum ahahha

next time i go to phils i will just go there to make papers and then Get out as soon as possible, but it may take months. and then they wonder why filipinos never want to come back. so difficult to get out.....

i know this is off topic but hey its always about the philippines at the end no?

Edited by che ti frega
  • Like 1