September 11 attacks

stevewool
Posted
Posted

So called 911 , 2001 seems so long ago now and i am sure many of us will know where we was and what we was doing on that day.

Myself i was waiting to be picked up from just outside Sevenoaks near London, I had just dropped of a lorry and was waiting to be collected along with the other drivers, we got into the car and the driver said a plane had hit the tower, then i the next few minutes another plane had hit.

Terrible hearing it on the news and what made it worst for me was my brother in law worked in the twin towers near the top floor.

I tried to call home and to get in touch with the wife to see if the bil was ok, the then wife was trying to make contact with her sister who lived in Ridgewood, just outside Manhattan but it was hard, in the end she did managed to make contact and she had no idea what was happening not far from where they lived.

Luckily the bil was working away in another state but he lost so many work colleges that day, terrible news then and still terrible when you see the footage again.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the tribute Steve.  I don't remember what I was doing at the time but I was angry and sadden when I saw a video of a man throwing himself out the window for all the world to see.  

If I was of age, I would have signed up to become a Marine to terminate "with extreme prejudice".  

• Like 2

Castaway
Posted
Posted

On September 11, 2001, I was working in a building next to the Pentagon (near Washington, DC) and I felt the explosion of the jet that crashed into the Pentagon. At that moment, we were watching the results of the attack on the World Trade Center Towers on TV.  It was a surrealistic event and it felt like we we experiencing the end of the world.

My office was filled with black smoke that contained shards of metal and glass. Luckily, no one was killed in my office. However, we all had to evacuate and I suffered from cuts to my eyeballs (due to the black smoke that was filled with shards of metal and glass),

I will never forget that day!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I was working in IT for ABC Television on the upper west side of Manhattan at that time. When it happened I was several cars from the toll booth of the George Washington Bridge going to upper Manhattan trying to get down to work. Couldn't see what was happening because the view was blocked and no instant access to internet then so nobody really knew anything. They closed the bridge but I was right next to the last exit. I debated for several minutes trying to decide what should I do, try to get in to help support the story or get the hell out of there. I chose the latter, good decision. When I went in 2 days later there was this burning electrical smell for days even as far away as we were. Terrible, terrible thing.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I remember is quite vividly, I had a hotel in Southern area of Brisbane on the border to Gold Coast.  I arrived at the hotel about 8am or maybe a little later.  Turned on the news as I always did and saw the planes crashing into WTC.  At first when I saw the first one, thinking what a terrible accident, but then the second.

I knew then it was a terror attack (not rocket science) and was appalled and deeply saddened as I watched it unfold.  The people screaming, running for their lives (they were the lucky ones, if there is such a thing in that situation).  I will never forget it as long as I live.

Time marches on but I have no doubts the poor people directly involved will never really get over it. RIP to the victims who did not survive,  sad memories.

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted (edited)

deleted o/t

Edited by MikeB