Adventures In Rental Hunting!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, russellmania said:

In addition to the 30k rent I will also owe the Home  Assoc fees monthly at a rate of P3,400 pesos!!

There seems to be an attitude here of:  If you don't ask you don't get.  So perhaps that was something you could have negotiated by explaining that the owner would still have to pay that whether the house is rented or not.

I find it is somewhat common to ask for the HOA fees or condo fees as extras.  The rationale being that it is you who will benefit from having the security guards wandering around and the garbage getting picked up etc.

As they say, better luck next time.  Lots of places to choose from at 30K a month rent. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

russellmania
Posted
Posted

My agent is giving it another shot,but this lady seems dead set in her ways. Unfurnished she wanted 30k month, furnished she want 40k month. I felt she could add the aircons,shower heater and curtains and she agreed. I have seen Home Assoc dues P400 to P800 but NEVER P3400! What are the owners paying in the multi million dollar subdivisions in the hills,,P10,000,P20,000,P50,000 month Home Assoc dues? This is a small new townhouse subdivision with apartment complex in the rear with guard,small pool few more amenities.Some people might think its a fair price,I dont thats why im moving on.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

P3400 is within the ball park for sure and mostly paid by Tennant. With the budget you have please spend more time looking around as currently there are some pretty good bargains available.

Pleasing to note you picked up the dues in contract, be a disaster if not.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, russellmania said:

My agent is giving it another shot,but this lady seems dead set in her ways. Unfurnished she wanted 30k month, furnished she want 40k month. I felt she could add the aircons,shower heater and curtains and she agreed. I have seen Home Assoc dues P400 to P800 but NEVER P3400! What are the owners paying in the multi million dollar subdivisions in the hills,,P10,000,P20,000,P50,000 month Home Assoc dues? This is a small new townhouse subdivision with apartment complex in the rear with guard,small pool few more amenities.Some people might think its a fair price,I dont thats why im moving on.

I'd be wondering what cut the agent is getting. Seriously get your feet on the ground and look around. 30 to 40,000 peso sounds very expensive unless you're looking at a decent size house.

• Like 1

russellmania
Posted
Posted

She aint getting a cut from me because Im paying 30k or walking. Im looking for 30k to 35k NEW or relatively new townhouse or house. I could pay 20k but the houses I have seen or 10 to 20yrs old and used and abused. That's just my lifestyle. Some guys are happy in a Nipa hut while others need a 80k a month condo on the 50th floor. I still got time to search and I got other agents out there hunting also. Got 2 places to see today after lunch

• Like 1

russellmania
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, RBM said:

P3400 is within the ball park for sure and mostly paid by Tennant. With the budget you have please spend more time looking around as currently there are some pretty good bargains available.

Pleasing to note you picked up the dues in contract, be a disaster if not.

Waaay ahead of you partner!! Got 2 units today and one tomorrow

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

All is negotiable in any country but from my experience more so in Asian countries. Hard ball? Yep and move on as you are doing russell. We leased a 3 bed 3 bath apartment in San Lazaro Sta Cruz many years ago, admittedly the third bed and bath was for the maid (that we never had) and became our junk room/storage. Regardless,,,, they asked Php 30k plus condo fees. Our offer was 25k with no condo fees, instal an an A/C unit in the living area (one in the master B/R existing and nothing else) Install the range hood (ducting to the maids balcony existing) over the 4 burner cook top and oven and we will pay 12 months advance and 2 months bond, some 350K to their account total,,,,,,,,,,, not a small amount that was eagerly accepted by the owners as (I assume came off the mortgage?) we all lived happily ever after, even got the 50K bond back within 2 weeks. Lucky? Nope, due diligence, crossing the T's and dotting the I's and a firm eye to what becomes a business arrangement and nothing more.

Good luck with your endeavours and search mate, a little goading from members and a lot of research within this site, and as I and others have stated,,,,,,, boots on the ground and all will be revealed. No boots on the ground then research and research well, here and many other sites for your particular chosen paradise. Bargain or walk away as you have done,,,,,,,, and well done to you, As we do walk on and fight another day and pick up an acceptable place to live within our budget, but the bonus could be in the extra negotiations and observations learned by others and also yourself.

Going through negotiations ATM with a property valuation purchase with BIR that was ill advised by the agent, no attorneys yet but agents  are negotiating to rest the case privately and yes it is costing them.

State your case within reason to your circumstances and/or proffered advice. Never be shy in coming backward and going forward. Go hard and good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, russellmania said:

I found a nice new Townhouse and the filipina owner and me agreed that she would add 2 aircons a shower heater,all the curtains and landscape the front yard before I move in for 30k a month. She had the contract drawn up and sent it for me to review before Oct 1st when we agreed sign it. As I was reading I found a part that almost floored me. In addition to the 30k rent I will also owe the Home  Assoc fees monthly at a rate of P3,400 pesos!! The owner failed to mention that small minor detail when I tour her rental. Welcome to the Philippines right!!! Oh yeah I ripped up the contract after I read that part! The search continues!

I am not the slightest bit surprised as that revelation.  This is typical of the behaviour of landlords.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, russellmania said:

I found a nice new Townhouse and the filipina owner and me agreed that she would add 2 aircons a shower heater,all the curtains and landscape the front yard before I move in for 30k a month. She had the contract drawn up and sent it for me to review before Oct 1st when we agreed sign it. As I was reading I found a part that almost floored me. In addition to the 30k rent I will also owe the Home  Assoc fees monthly at a rate of P3,400 pesos!! The owner failed to mention that small minor detail when I tour her rental. Welcome to the Philippines right!!! Oh yeah I ripped up the contract after I read that part! The search continues!

Everything is negotiable, in fact it's expected. You could tell her to deduct the HOA from the rent or pay it herself. p30k is a lot, where is this, Manila?

• Like 1