Whose Account is compromised in this example?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have been getting fake email from my mother and she has been getting fake email from me.  The mail come to the email address I use for Facebook and it says the sender is my mother but the email address it comes from is not hers so I do not open it.

In return.  She tells me she is getting email that says it is coming from me but not from my usual email address.

I think its her Facebook that someone has accessed and she says its not because the only "fake mail" she gets is from me.  Alternatively, the only "fake mail" I get is from her.  Its a conundrum which is easily solved by deleting mail from her that does not originate from her regular email provider. . . .  unless I have been hacked ????

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have been getting fake email from my mother and she has been getting fake email from me.  The mail come to the email address I use for Facebook and it says the sender is my mother but the email address it comes from is not hers so I do not open it.

In return.  She tells me she is getting email that says it is coming from me but not from my usual email address.

I think its her Facebook that someone has accessed and she says its not because the only "fake mail" she gets is from me.  Alternatively, the only "fake mail" I get is from her.  Its a conundrum which is easily solved by deleting mail from her that does not originate from her regular email provider. . . .  unless I have been hacked ????

Not sure about that Dave but it has been ages since I have been able to get on here and this is cyber crap.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Its Donald Trump.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

If your account has been hacked the email could also be in your sent folder. Has anyone else you know been getting emails from you that you didn't send? Could be your email address is being spoofed. I get loads of emails from myself these day. Nothing you can do about it.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Its Donald Trump.

Check the spelling, if it looks like it has been written by a 5 year old you could be correct.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I was an email administrator for a long time. This is a very common and annoying scenario. I doubt the mailbox or FB acct has been hacked, sounds like one or both of your email addresses have been "spoofed". A spammer (typically) puts a legitimate email address in the "From:" field to get the recipient to click on spam links. Companies try various authentication methods to block these phony emails but the bottom line is there's not much the end user can do. It will usually stop after a while. Just delete the email. You can google "spoof email" and read all about it.

Edit: Didn't read Gary D's post before I posted. He said it right re: spoofing with a lot more brevity than I managed.  

Edited by MikeB
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

When the next member brings in politics to a topic do not be surprised that the next time one logs in its says "access denied."  Yes I see a joke but in many topics it gets too much so again read the rules of each forum to see what is allowed.  :thumbsup: Good reason for it .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Gary D said:

Check the spelling, if it looks like it has been written by a 5 year old you could be correct.

Very good.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

When the next member brings in politics to a topic do not be surprised that the next time one logs in its says "access denied."  Yes I see a joke but in many topics it gets too much so again read the rules of each forum to see what is allowed.  :thumbsup: Good reason for it .

I cannot see how my comment can in anyway be seen as nothing more than a light hearted joke.  There is nothing political about a name, even if he is President of US.  

Oops there I go again. Well fellow members I looks like I am headed for the sin bin.  It has been a great time on this forum and I have had a lot of support from many, met some as well and in the main it was enjoyable.

I am very indebted to  all of you who have helped me over the years and the friends I have made.  

But the last time I looked I did not live in Nazi Germany and I do not agree with what is happening here.  What a sad state and direction this type of  oppressive censorship is directing this forum.  

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

If one or both email accounts have been compromised the "contact list" in the compromised account will also have been read.  Then all the contact listed will also be getting email as being from the owner of the account.  I hope that made some kind of sense.  If this is not the case, the the address is being spoofed as written earlier.

Example:

My email is me@mail.com

My contact list contains:

you1@yahoo.com

you2@gmail.com

My account gets hacked and both you1 and you2 start receiving emails from me@yahoo.  Often these will contain a link that will be used to the infect and "harvest" the contact list of both you1 and you2 and the attack spreads.  When the attacker receives any kind of response from someone who receives an email that email address becomes more valuable when sold to spammers because it has been shown to be a valid and current address.

• Like 1