Divorce

RBM
Posted
Posted

Something that maybe of interest to somebody in the future. Anybody going this way would of course need do his due diligence and not rely on what I have written.

Was chatting to a friend last evening whom explained his recent divorce to his Filipina, yes not annulment but divorce. While I have no interest in confirming his story I also have no reason to doubt it.

Basically goes like this. After a child and 6 years of a Philippine marriage they accepted it's not going to work long term. He is an American. They drew up an agreement for shared custody and support, had this notarized. Also the attorney made a document for her to sign consenting to a divorce. 

I am not sure but understand  something was done also at the American consul office in Cebu before flying alone to Guam.  He had to stay in Guam I belive 8 days before legalizing the divorce which is recognized here.

Cost wise he said was a fraction of an annulment plus quick and easy. He has since remarried how ever did face some issues regarding  the divorce but was sorted by his attorney.

First I had heard of this so thought maybe of interest to members complentating either assisting an intended spouse or starting a fresh.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, RBM said:

First I had heard of this

It is the first I have heard of this on a "rush basis" but I can confirm that I know two other foreigners who came here and married filipinas, then went back to the states to get an uncontested divorce, and then came back as divorced and eligible to marry another.  I do not believe the "ex-wife" is considered divorced but I heard there is a process where she can apply to have her marriage annulled on the basis of her husband divorcing her in another country.  This is my understanding from talking to 2 different American men who have done it.  But I have not done it myself so this is second hand info.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Nothing new about this but for the filipina to remarry the divorce needs to be registered in the Philippines.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Nothing new about this but for the filipina to remarry the divorce needs to be registered in the Philippines.

As far as I recall she will always be married unless she has the annulment papers. Yes he is free but she is not. 

• Thanks 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

Strange as never heard about this, makes me wonder why so many spend so much obtaining g an annulment which comes up time to time. 

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, RBM said:

Strange as never heard about this, makes me wonder why so many spend so much obtaining g an annulment which comes up time to time. 

Because the gf is married to the Filipino. Only foreigners can divorse abroad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Because the gf is married to the Filipino. Only foreigners can divorse abroad.

Now there is Food for thought! I wonder if 2 Filipinos naturalized in the US or any other country could Divorce I have a Nephew who is married to another Filipino and they live in SoCal, maybe i will ak him if he knows anything

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

Only foreigners can divorse abroad.

From that same article Jack posted:

The rule has broadened and now includes Filipinos who have become naturalized in another country and seek a legally binding divorce. 

If the non-native has been approved a divorce, this does not mean that the Filipino has the right to enter into another marriage. There must be an acknowledgment of the divorce of a non-native from the Filipino courts for remarriage to be possible. After the Filipino courts have acknowledged the dissolution of marriage, only then can a Filipino citizen remarry.

• Thanks 1