Electrical brownout

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

We had a brownout tonight and Noreco were therein 20 minutes  and fixed it so very good on that.

My quandary is that when the power was still off one of our 2 torches died so in anticipation on the power being on again soon I plugged it in.Now remember we had no power but the charging light came on on the torch I took it out of the socket and the light went off.The only thing I can think of is that there was a little bit of power left in the lines,I cannot see this as when the power is off usually there is no current. Do any of you have an explanation for this or do I have gremlins in the power system.

I am baffled by this.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

We had a brownout tonight and Noreco were therein 20 minutes  and fixed it so very good on that.

My quandary is that when the power was still off one of our 2 torches died so in anticipation on the power being on again soon I plugged it in.Now remember we had no power but the charging light came on on the torch I took it out of the socket and the light went off.The only thing I can think of is that there was a little bit of power left in the lines,I cannot see this as when the power is off usually there is no current. Do any of you have an explanation for this or do I have gremlins in the power system.

I am baffled by this.

Similar thing last weekend.  My BIL helped me change a wall switch.  I threw the breaker off but when he touched the wire (bare footed) he got enough juice to startle him.  I guess a bit was still in the wiring.

You plugged it back in and the charging light stayed on?  It might not take much to give it a glow.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I have a phone charging block that plugs into the mains and it's status LED will stay on for 10 seconds or so after I unplug it. It doesn't take much. Maybe your transformer tripped and some stray voltage was getting through anyway? I would expect that someone would have something plugged in and turned on somewhere that would ground out any stray voltage, Or maybe not it being the Philippines. I usually unplug everything when the power goes out because I expect a surge when it comes back.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I would have that looked into by someone with a voltage meter who knows how to use it. Could be several things wrong 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Do any of you have an explanation for this or do I have gremlins in the power system.

I am baffled by this.

It is the way it is delivered Hot & Cold there is no negative Earth so there is always residual power in the Line, not only that,  Apart from when the Power is Off from the Substation the lines are still somewhat Live. Arching at some stage may also give a small power outlet. Have you ever noticed that these guys will work on live wires at times, (They know where not to touch) 

Jack:89:

Morning All:photo-109:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

there is always residual power in the Line

I wonder about another possibility for that.  It seems that most of my appliances have capacitors in them these days so even if I turn the power off they are still partially charged.  Could they be feeding the line with residual power? 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, Dave Hounddriver said:

I wonder about another possibility for that.  It seems that most of my appliances have capacitors in them these days so even if I turn the power off they are still partially charged.  Could they be feeding the line with residual power? 

The Wonders of Electricity Baffles the best, I guess they could do that. I remember an old Sparky telling me many years ago, "We know how it works, we know how to make it, we know when it works but we don't know Why it works, seems true still today. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The caps do hold a charge and will discharge into your fingers if you touch the end, power or not. Happened to me a couple times, not pleasant. But I don't think they will discharge into the line. I think Jack got it right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Old55 said:

I would have that looked into by someone with a voltage meter who knows how to use it. Could be several things wrong 

ET go home!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1