Security Guards are Everywhere in the Philippines!

Castaway
Posted
Posted (edited)

Capture.JPG

One of the many things that I got used to in the Philippines was seeing armed security guards almost everywhere!... McDonald’s, 7-11, Jollibee’s and banks (but the banks didn’t really surprise me).

This was an adjustment for me since back in the States, even banks (in most cases) operate without needing uniformed armed security personnel on site… maybe the US banks depend on their silent alarms, dye-packs and quick responses from the local police and the FBI?

In some cases, I have even been served food (at my table) by armed security guards in fast food restaurants. lol

Why do security guards carry guns in hotels, malls and even restaurants in the Philippines? Is it really necessary?

“Banditry, thievery, piracy, and insurgency were common throughout Philippine history and are rampant even now. Citizens and businesses have had to protect themselves when the legal authorities weren’t available. Businesses now hire security agencies who provide uniformed armed guards to protect establishments from heavily armed gangs or thieves. These security agencies secure prime targets such as armored cars and protect all banks, pawnshops, jewelry shops, and other high-end establishments as well as secure highly populated locations to prevent the entry of suspicious persons. The armed guards provide the deterrence that police cannot provide on-the-spot or at the immediate occurrence of a crime.”

"Foreigners to the Philippines might be shocked by the large numbers of armed security guards but the regular populace don’t mind and feel more secured by this. The people are also used to seeing uniformed guards who are only armed with pistols, batons, or just a handheld radio set patrolling malls or office corridors or randomly checking bags and packages at shop entrances. They know it is to prevent terrorists armed with bombs from harming those already inside, as well as to guard the exits and prevent suspected perpetrators from escaping."

"The police in the Philippines have a notorious reputation for arriving several minutes late at any crime scene. The criminals and perpetrators would have been long gone by the time any police or local military security forces arrived. The main function of the police is thus to investigate crimes and arrest known criminals. They cannot be everywhere to prevent actual criminal acts from taking place even at high-value targets so the police have enlisted the cooperation of licensed private security agencies to provide the on-site criminal deterrence with their armed guards.”

Edited by Castaway
Removed 'Armed' from Title of Topic

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Castaway said:

"The police in the Philippines have a notorious reputation for arriving several minutes late at any crime scene. The criminals and perpetrators would have been long gone by the time any police or local military security forces arrived.

I think you have answered your own Question here my friend. Should anything Happen before they arrived there is a slight (very slight) chance that maybe one or two of any Armed naughties may have be taken down Lets call it a little Bit of Assurance :89: for the Public at large. It has been this way for as many years before I came and it is on the Increase. I read that it is in the Insurance Policy of Companies that these Armed guards are there 

:mellow: OH! I do hope we are not going to get into another Gun Debate here :shades:

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Going from memory, there was a pawn shop in Cebu that was robbed and the city blamed the business for not have enough security guards for a deterrent. 

Here is another incident in Cebu.  Not the one I am thinking of but a similar occurrence.  Since there were no armed guards, the robbery was only "alleged":

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2017/03/20/pawnshop-loses-p422000-robbery-531923

In my opinion, the constant presence of armed guards keep the crimes of opportunity to a minimum but do not deter the real bad guys.  What crimes of opportunity?  Even with armed guards at McDonalds I have seen scruffy looking kids wait outside the door until most people's back's were turned then run inside and steal the food off a table where 2 ladies were sitting and eating.  The guard gave chase but the kids were gone.  This kind of thing is a bit funny when it happens once.  With no guards (not always armed but looking like they could be if needed) it would be a regular occurrence.

• Like 3

Lou49
Posted
Posted (edited)

There was a shooting at my apartment in Banilad a few years ago. Seven rounds fired, thankfully all misses. The secutity guard called it in immediately. It took the police 45 minutes to arrive.Traffic. The shooter was never caught.Lots of security guards around, very few police it seems.

Edited by Lou49
  • Sad 1

Castaway
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I think you have answered your own Question here my friend.

It was just a rhetorical question my friend. :smile:

31 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:mellow: OH! I do hope we are not going to get into another Gun Debate here :shades:

I certainly hope not.  The intention of my post was to mention/discuss the need for uniformed security guards in the Philippines. :mellow:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Castaway said:

I certainly hope not.  The intention of my post was to mention/discuss the need for uniformed security guards in the Philippines. :mellow:

Armed Security Guards are Everywhere in the Philippines! (The Topic Title)

I take your point but there has been a tendency of late that when "Arms" are mentioned we get a run (posts) on Gun ownership which normally gets Shitty :mellow: People move off the topic and onto their own Agenda on what they would Do But:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

Castaway
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Armed Security Guards are Everywhere in the Philippines! (The Topic Title)

I take your point but there has been a tendency of late that when "Arms" are mentioned we get a run (posts) on Gun ownership which normally gets Shitty :mellow: People move off the topic and onto their own Agenda on what they would Do But:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

'Armed' has been removed from the topic's title. Hopefully, this will prevent us from moving off-topic.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Armed Security Guards are Everywhere in the Philippines!

I know that we visited about a week after I returned from a tour in Iraq, was walking along, turned a corner and saw an armed security guard out of the corner of my eye, almost shat myself :Caught: and over reacted :hystery:. Wont even describe my reactions when a religious procession went by and the fire crackers started going off :nudie:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Their uniforms are sharp and well pressed.  Shotguns with pistol grips apparently are the weapons of choice since I will assume they are locally made (cheap) and probably with very limited supply of shotgun shells on hand.  I will also assume they are not well trained in weapons handling and not regularly re-certified.  Ammo is very expensive.

Ever handle a pistol grip shotgun?  It's design to quickly shoot from the hip and not against the shoulder at eye level.  In other words -- generally point and spray.  I'm with Master Sergeant Scott H.......being near an armed and untrained individual will probably make me have an "accidental discharge" if the gun goes off while having a Jollibee hamburger.....he, he.  

• Like 2