Has anyone bought a linear refrigerator?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Cost of living includes buying and replacing appliances like refrigerators, which cost as much as most other countries in some cases.

The latest "gimmick" I have seen is the LG inverter type linear refrigerator.  The inverter type ref has become quite popular and they can be bought for under 20K pesos but what is the advantage to the inverter linear type?  The price tag is quadruple what the normal inverter type costs and I cannot imagine the cost being justified.

Is it worth the money?

Here is an example of one you could buy for only 100K pesos.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I believe they actually generate excess electricity that you can power your house with.  Or at least they should for that price!  :smile:

• Haha 1

Castaway
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

what is the advantage to the inverter linear type?

I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money but there are some advantages.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

What is an inverter Fridge, Advantages of inverter Refrigerator

An inverter refrigerator is a fridge fitted with the new generation of inverter compressors. An inverter compressor is a compressor which can run at different speeds according to the load required by the fridge. When machinery runs at slow speeds it uses electricity much more efficiently than when it runs a high speed. Ordinary fridge compressors have just one speed, and the temperature in the fridge is maintained by running the compressor at its highest speed till the temperature in the fridge reaches one or two degrees below the set temperature and the compressor stops. The compressor then restarts when the temperature in the fridge is about one or two degrees above the set temperature and stops till it reaches one or two degrees below the set temperature. The ordinary fridge compressor works with start - stop cycles and runs at its highest speed when it is working. This is a very inefficient way for the compressor to work.

In an inverter refrigerator compressor the compressor does not stop, but runs at slow speed just enough to maintain the required temperature in the fridge. So the compressor in an inverter fridge does not waste electricity in starting up at regular intervals and runs very efficiently at the slowest speed. So the advantage of having an inverter fridge is that the monthly electricity bill will be about 40% less than an equal size ordinary fridge. The inverter fridge is very silent because it runs at slow speed and the fridge does not startle you when it the compressor suddenly starts with a loud noise. Other advantage is that an inverter refrigerator fridge is complaint free and lasts much longer, because the inverter refrigerator compressor runs slowly and relaxed and there are no shock loads in its system unlike in the stop-start-run at maximum speed-stop cycle of an ordinary fridge. The temperature in an inverter fridge will closely match the temperature set by the fridge thermostat. A comparison between an ordinary fridge and an inverter fridge is given in the following image.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Thank you Happthorn for the explanation.  A short tine ago, I was advised that inverter type air con was recommended to me as a cost saving appliance.  I was sceptical until my bill dropped 30% after I installed this type of appliance.  I am now a fan.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Happyhorn52 said:

What is an inverter Fridge, Advantages of inverter Refrigerator

Thank you for the info, but this is thread is not intended to be about inverter refs.  It is about a specific kind of inverter ref that costs 4 times the normal inverter type.  I want to know about the linear type?

2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The inverter type ref has become quite popular and they can be bought for under 20K pesos but what is the advantage to the inverter linear type?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

I am now a fan.

You shouldn't need air con then.  Good luck in your new career! :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

What happens when your linear refrigerator receives "non-linear" power?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

I like to keep it simple.  Is the beer kept cold at less cost to me at bill time and how long will it take to make my money back on the cost saving given the more expensive outlay?  Is it within the warranty period of the appliance?  I asked the same question of solar panels and lithium batteries. 

Edited by BrettGC

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It would be worth it if you also get a full time house keeper (who does not eat much) as part of the deal. :whistling:

• Haha 1