Typewriters are Alive and Well (Actually Unwell) in the Philippines

Castaway
Posted
Posted

Capture.JPG

I remember (back in the 80’s) when all of my employer’s typewriters were hauled away to make more room for computer workstations and servers for our Local Area Network (LAN).

Just imagine my shock when I came to the Philippines and discovered that typewriters are still very much in use.

At first, I noticed them in a fixer’s office (not my idea to go there).

OK, I guess it may be nostalgic to cling onto old technology (and after all, this is the Philippines) BUT here's my problem with typewriters in the Philippines.

When I received my marriage contract from the NSO, it was almost unreadable due to the broken keys on the typewriter that was used to type it. When I mailed an official copy of it to a US Government Agency, they couldn’t read it and I ended up having to dictate each letter, number, name and word over the phone.

It seems as if typewriters will die a very slow death in the Philippines—i.e., if they ever do actually die out over here.  Here’s a story about some of the people who toil away with repairing the aging typewriters of the Philippines.

typewriter.JPG

https://shirinmanila.wordpress.com/2016/06/03/the-last-typewriter-men-of-manila/

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Castaway said:

Just imagine my shock when I came to the Philippines and discovered that typewriters are still very much in use.

Oh Yes! and strange as it may seem, My wifes' Company still run Tutorials for the use of them, They have a Typewriter mechanic (Tuner) comes in every 3 months to service and reset + changing ribbons where necessary. I asked Why in this day and age, Well Honey, before we had the Big Generators and UPS's it was so we could carry on Working during Brownouts. Things never changed and so it stays as mandatory that each office depending on Size (Number of people) there is always at least 1 (one) Typewriter in each department. She tells me that the units have been on the Inventories of each Department for so many years & and as Long as they are serviceable they stay (Just in case) Also Work Detail Tickets are done on them to save paper on Printing. White top and 4 different copy colours The Tickets are  about 6" x 5" and need 4 carbon Copies for Distribution and original to stay on File. They can produce up to 30 Tickets a day sometimes

So you see they Play an important part of at least, my wife's Job

Jack:tiphat:

Morning All :photo-109:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Castaway
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I asked Why in this day and age, Well Honey, before we had the Big Generators and UPS's it was so we could carry on Working during Brownouts.

Now I understand... it's like how the 'ol saying goes, "Only in the Philippines!" Thanks!

• Haha 1

davewe
Posted
Posted

I had a writing business for many years. Started out with electric typewriters,, converted to original PC clones and eventually to Macs and laser printers. But I still used the typewriter occasionally when clients would bring in forms to be filled out. I could never find a better solution.

Just before we moved had a garage sale and the old typewriter sold to someone for some purpose.

• Like 1

Lou49
Posted
Posted

Carbon paper is also alive and well in the Philippines.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Castaway
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Lou49 said:

Carbon paper is also alive and well in the Philippines.

Much to my surprise, carbon paper (and typewriters of course) are also alive and well in New York City.

Typewriters and Carbon Paper Still Being Used In Government

It is amazing how behind the times many government offices are when it comes to technology. New York City has put out a bid to replace 1,172 typewriters, which are primarily used to complete carbon copy forms that are not computerized.

As the New York Post reports:

The last city contract for typewriters, issued five years ago, cost the city $320,000 and is set to expire soon. Eighteen agencies use the machines, city officials said.

“The offices that use them here have to fill out old-style standardized requisitions and purchase orders, etc. — forms that have multiple carbonless-copy pages and which need an actual keystroke to make a copy on all the pages,” said Department of Transportation spokesman Seth Solomonow.

Other agencies using the typewriters are the NYPD, Department of Buildings and Human Resources Administration.

Carbon paper was invented in 1806, typewriters were invented in 1868 and amazingly both are still being used in government offices today. Is it correct to assume that any government agency using typewriters and carbon paper is inefficient, or is it possible to have a system that serves employees and customers well with typewriters and carbon paper?

https://www.govloop.com/community/blog/typewriters-and-carbon-paper-still-being-used-in-government/

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Castaway said:

It is amazing how behind the times many government offices are when it comes to technology. New York City has put out a bid to replace 1,172 typewriters, which are primarily used to complete carbon copy forms that are not computerized.

So there you have it Proof Positive that the Philippines are in fact keeping up with at least NYC and I would hazard a guess there are many more countries that still use the Typewriter and Carbon Paper

Food for Thought?

5 minutes ago, Castaway said:

It is amazing how behind the times many government offices are

But are they? It seems to me there is more to this than people are prepared to accept :smile:

Castaway
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Food for Thought?

Yes!... some people may still be using an even older method for creating documents?

stone.JPG

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Castaway said:

some people may still be using an even older method for creating documents?

Its interesting that you caricatured that pic.  Interesting because http://www.ancient-origins.net/ancient-writings-ancient-places-europe/dispilio-tablet-oldest-known-written-text-00913 shows how the Dispilio Tablet has lasted so much longer than any other method of writing.   I suppose that means the old ways are the best ways when it comes to lasting for a long time.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I was in a local government office a few weeks ago and saw the exact same typewriter I used to use an Olympus and could not believe my eyes.

I don't know how many trips to the building suppliers I have had over the past 8 to 10 days and every order was written in triplicate by another person other than the one that served me originally, then taken to the cashier.  No wonder they had about 20 people standing around at any one time, staff outnumbered customers 2 to 1 mostly when I was there!