One Year Ago...

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Wasn’t sure where to put this so I stuck it here. Wasn’t sure I even wanted to mention it but I’ll err on the side of recklessness.

A year ago today I left the Philippines after 5 and a half years and came back to the US, something I was sure I would never do in 2011. A lot happened over there, a lot of water under the bridge.

Plane left Cebu in the early morning of the 15th and arrived the same morning of the 15th at 9am. Never could figure that out, must of been a fast plane. :89:

In order of importance: my wife, child, dog, and I arrived at port of entry, Dallas/Fort Worth airport, Sept 15, 2016 and started the immigration process for my wife and our new life in America.

Child (5 next month) is doing much better here. He is in a public pre-K(indergarden), catches the school bus to and fro. He’s the reason I came back.

Wife took the entry-level nursing course and is taking the state exam next week. Misses the family but I have a Vonage plan that gives her 3000 minutes to Globe each month to call home. And of course the cure-all miracle elixir, Facebook. She can become a naturalized US citizen in 2 more years if all stays on track. No more “off-loading”, stamps, and silly seminars where they pull requirements out of the air to hassle you.  

I don’t miss the trash burning, religious fiestas that featured fights, projectile vomiting, and 10 foot speakers till and beyond dawn. And I got real tired of hearing I’ll get deported if I do or say such and such. But there are things I miss, I’ll call them “intangibles” for lack of a better word.

Probably won’t go back; it’s too far (even with that fast plane), too expensive and there’s too many other places to see. Grand Canyon is top on my bucket list. But I’ve learned to “never say never”.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

Hi Mike,   Thanks for sharing that here on the forum.    I will begin my own personal adventure to the Phils in about 4 weeks from now, I will have a one way ticket (plus throwaway of course),  my intention is to stay forever  but who really knows.  Maybe it will help me as I have nothing here in the UK to return to, no close family left now.  From what I have gathered in my time here on the forum is that location and neighbourhood/neighbours can be the deal breaker, get it right and you stand a fair chance of dealing with the many challenges that come along.

Good luck to your wife with her exams next week, and further good luck to you and your family.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Eddie. We had good years there and a good year here, as long as we're together latitude and longitude don't matter much. Best to you on your new adventure. 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Good to hear you are doing well Mike.  I followed your adventure in Philippines from close and from far.  In the beginning I was sure you were one of the type who would thrive in Philippines because you let things bounce off like rain off a duck's back, but by the time you decided to leave it seemed like the little things were getting under your skin.  You sound quite happy now.  I am pleased to hear it.  All the best to you and your family.

I enjoy Philippines, but I have found things to enjoy everywhere I have ever lived.  Even so, sometimes you just know its time to move on.  My day to move from Philippines may come, but it will not be because the Philippines is not for me.  It will be because there are more interesting opportunities elsewhere.

• Like 5

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

The reason I left Dalaguete was among other things the noise.Discos and dogs barking all the time.Glad to see you`re doing well Mike hope it carries on that way.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

The reason I left Dalaguete was among other things the noise.Discos and dogs barking all the time.Glad to see you`re doing well Mike hope it carries on that way.

You visited us a couple times, we lived in a decent neighborhood. The fiestas and noise weren't constant things but when they happened the whole town was kept up all night. Most of the locals hated it just as much as I did, a lot of them had to work the next day. But the worst was the 9 day wake period, where drunks would come out of the woodwork and set up tables (provided by the barangay) outside the home and gamble and yell 24 hours a day. No music; just gambling, drinking and yelling. Most didn't even know the deceased. Really bizarre, that one. Hope you and the family are well.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, MikeB said:

You visited us a couple times, we lived in a decent neighborhood. The fiestas and noise weren't constant things but when they happened the whole town was kept up all night. Most of the locals hated it just as much as I did, a lot of them had to work the next day. But the worst was the 9 day wake period, where drunks would come out of the woodwork and set up tables (provided by the barangay) outside the home and gamble and yell 24 hours a day. No music; just gambling, drinking and yelling. Most didn't even know the deceased. Really bizarre, that one. Hope you and the family are well.

We are fine Mike we found a nice place which is relatively quiet and we fit in well.

• Like 4