Nationwide Internet Problems

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

This morning I just caught the tail-end of a DJ talking about a nationwide internet problem related to undersea cables.  I really could not get get the context from the bit I heard.

Anybody heard of anything?  I googled but nothing recent.  My speedtest.net results are fine but for the last week FB pictures, etc., have been slow loading.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

problem related to undersea cables.

Its an excuse.  There were breakages near Hong Kong after a typhoon and your speed to Hong Kong may be a bit slower than the rest of the world but when I do speed tests to LA or other world cities the Internet sorts itself out and works around the breaks.  But its a way for PLDT and others to pass the buck so their "oversold" Internet can be slow and its "not their fault".

Such is my opinion.  I had seen a link to the breakage previously but did not save it.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Its an excuse.  There were breakages near Hong Kong after a typhoon and your speed to Hong Kong may be a bit slower than the rest of the world but when I do speed tests to LA or other world cities the Internet sorts itself out and works around the breaks.  But its a way for PLDT and others to pass the buck so their "oversold" Internet can be slow and its "not their fault".

Such is my opinion.  I had seen a link to the breakage previously but did not save it.

Yes this is true,my connection says I have about 3 up and .8 down but pictures and sometimes this site wont load they are coming tomorrow to look.They have oversold and they know it.This morning I had .79 up and .5 down.Now it is saying I have no internet connection.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I just tried to do a speedtest and I do not have a good enough connection to even do that.Very frustrating.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have engineers coming tomorrow to look at the problem,I sure hope they can fix it as it is getting on my nerves this will be the second visit in 2 weeks.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I have engineers coming tomorrow to look at the problem,I sure hope they can fix it as it is getting on my nerves this will be the second visit in 2 weeks.

Well the beer is in the Fridge now so they had better be done by 2 pm or I Will be protesting :whistling:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

They turned up at 11 am and it turns out that a line was cut so they changed it.The thing is a few weeks ago a tree of my neighbor fell onto the lines but it was working fine.I will not protest too much about it haha.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Castaway
Posted
Posted (edited)

All of a sudden, I've gone from being unable to test my speed (since the speed test was timing out) to getting higher speeds than what I'm paying for with my 5 Mbps plan with PLDT.

Capture.JPG

Is anyone else getting this result?

Edited by Castaway

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Mine still tests fine at 50 mbps but for some reason FB is very slow.  Pictures load slowly and videos need to buffer.  Seems unique to FB.  You Tube is fine.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Mine still tests fine at 50 mbps but for some reason FB is very slow.  Pictures load slowly and videos need to buffer.  Seems unique to FB.  You Tube is fine.

I have heard this from several people this site is the one that goes slow for me if the internet is slow.Since they repaired my line it has been fine.