Nationwide Internet Problems

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

some reason FB is very slow.

I read there are about 4 billion Internet users worldwide and about 2 billion of them use Facebook.  Perhaps Facebook is just over-utilized.  That may explain why FB has said they may start to delete Fake News posts, once they have figured out how.

• I'm Confused 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

breakages in the HK to Phils undersea cable

Hmmm....  Sounds fishy.  If you test on speedtest.net, you are going to test against a local server.  It has nothing to do with an undersea cable to Hong Kong.  Experts, correct me if I am wrong.

Sorry, off topic.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Hmmm....  Sounds fishy.  If you test on speedtest.net, you are going to test against a local server.  It has nothing to do with an undersea cable to Hong Kong.  Experts, correct me if I am wrong.

Sorry, off topic.

https://techthetruth.wordpress.com/2017/09/02/southeast-asia-suffers-slow-internet-due-to-broken-undersea-cables/

A local server for testing will have the same problems if the ISP is having issues.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

A local server for testing will have the same problems if the ISP is having issues.

I don't follow your logic but its seems to be the case.  The first is my result from Dumaguete to Cebu and the second is my result to Hong Kong.  If there is a broken cable somewhere in the middle it is not showing up today.

6662208235.png

6662215463.png

Even Los Angeles is showing up with a similar speed

6662221734.png

So if all these servers are showing up with download speeds of close to 3 Mbps and thats the average of what I have been getting over the last 3 years;  Why the problem with lag to YouTube and Facebook sites?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

https://techthetruth.wordpress.com/2017/09/02/southeast-asia-suffers-slow-internet-due-to-broken-undersea-cables/

Hounddriver told me that was a PLDT excuse, and I believed him!  :hystery:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Hounddriver told me that was a PLDT excuse, and I believed him!

I showed my speed test results.  WTF?  I have no idea why the speed test result is good but the real life experience sucks.  Someone needs to explain that in terms that do not add up to  PLDT BS.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I showed my speed test results.  WTF?  I have no idea why the speed test result is good but the real life experience sucks.  Someone needs to explain that in terms that do not add up to  PLDT BS.

Same thing, my speedtest is great but FB pictures trickle down like I am on a dial up modem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

For those of you that aren't familiar with command prompt testing of packet loss, ping speeds etc try one of the various tools out there on the web that measure your connection over time. The Ookla Speedtest is only a single snapshot of your connection speed, it's best to run these things over time and there's tools out there that will do that for you if you're happy to leave your computer on for more than 24 hours at a time.  What I suspect is happening in PH is a line quality issue domestically as well as loading.  I have no clue about the state of the submarine cable connection to Asia so not going to comment on that other than to say it sounds like providers passing the buck:  It's never our fault right???  But that may just be jaded me after years of dealing with it on 3 continents.  

The simplest place to test your connection over time is http://www.dslreports.com/tools and don't let the domain name fool you, it tests all types of connections. The specific tool you're looking for is Smokeping for the 24 hour check.  Check out some of the other tools and compare them to Ookla, there's some interesting results sometimes.  

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So if all these servers are showing up with download speeds of close to 3 Mbps and thats the average of what I have been getting over the last 3 years;  Why the problem with lag to YouTube and Facebook sites?

3mb is not enough for videos and a  million images loading plus crap going on behind the scenes you dont know your computer is doing like auto updates and 20 tabs open at once.  Also how old is your computer and what are the specs as if you have a morris minor you can not expect a lamborghini speed. 

People should look at their computer set up first. Anti virus systems and many things to see where the issue is. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

3mb is not enough for videos and a  million images loading plus crap going on behind the scenes you dont know your computer is doing like auto updates and 20 tabs open at once.  Also how old is your computer and what are the specs as if you have a morris minor you can not expect a lamborghini speed. 

People should look at their computer set up first. Anti virus systems and many things to see where the issue is.

Thank you for your input but I will state that 3 Mbps is close to the fastest I have had during 10 years in Philippines and even as slow as 1.5 Mbps has worked well for all these things until now.  But things change so I do plan to upgrade to faster speed a.s.a.p.

My computer is only 1 year old, from Canada and has worked great, until recently.  I still have the old computer that used to work great and now it also runs slow.  My smart phone is likewise affected.  So this is a perfect example of my signature statement.  I believe what Brett says (quoted below) and it prevails over whatever the truth turns out to be.

8 hours ago, BrettGC said:

not going to comment on that other than to say it sounds like providers passing the buck:  It's never our fault right??

• Like 1