Customer Service Huh?

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Yesterday, wife and I went to CSI looking for a bathroom cabinet, which we call in Oz vanity cabinets.  But there is only one living in San Fernando that I can find and it was a rirdiculous price.  So were looking for just a small cabinet to put toiletries etc and found one that would work.  

Then found to have no stock, but could have floor stock cabinet, but 200 pesos delivery or they would pull it apart and put it back in assembly box and I could bring it home and put it together.  Chose last option as I think I may be suicidal!

Pay and leave store to return 1 hour to pick it up.  Just after leaving, phone rings wife yak yaks, they say they can't get it apart (what they meant was they were too lazy to take it apart.  So delivery 200 pesos.  So I say, tell them to keep their cabinet and we will get our money  back.

We had just spent in excess of 85,000 pesos on appliances at this store, so I was not impressed with 200 pesos to facilitate their laziness.

Back we go to pick up refund.  I ask to see someone from Administration as I wished to lodge a complaint.  Now this threw the place into chaos as they do not understand such things. Woman just looked at me and hoped I would say don't bother, but I insisted.  Then the offer came for the free delivery.  I accepted with thanks, but still wanted to see senior management.

Would you believe they would not come down and meet me, as they were too afraid????  I had to go to their office.  Nice woman and I did not attack her but merely related the debacle.  She was 'so sorry' and for a moment I thought I was in the United Nations sorry shop.

What amazed me was an admission that staff receive NO training whilst working for this very large organisation.  I did see one employee walking around with thongs and sox on - really??? Is there no dress code?

Anyway I probably wasted my time but I did feel better after letting off some steam.

• Like 2

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

I have quite often complained about poor customer service and have always had my complaint dealt with efficiently and satisfactorily by senior management. I have found it's the lazy shop floor worker, who really can't be bothered, suddenly gets very worried when I insist is seeing a supervisor.

I think people don't complain enough, especially the locals who seem to accept poor customer service is  the norm here.

Ken

• Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Another issue to do with customer service or the lack of--it seems to me lately that supermarket and store help seem to be walking around looking very glum. In the past couple of months I've observed what seems to be entire store staff being halved down to a skeleton crew. in supermarkets and small department stores. I attribute it to morale problems/fears possibly as well as the cost of basic goods for workers and low pay scales.  Maybe as workers reach that six month mark they get worried. Doesn't make for a very pleasant or helpful experience. Has anyone else observed similar situations?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Castaway
Posted
Posted

For so many reasons, the term Customer Service is just an oxymoron in the Philippines. :mocking:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Castaway said:

For so many reasons, the term Customer Service is just an oxymoron in the Philippines. :mocking:

:hystery:

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

As most of you know, I don't live there yet but have visited many times including a couple of extended stays of 3 months plus. It's been my experience, right from the moment I stop off the plane to top-up my Globe SIM I become a little frustrated at the customer service.  I take a step back and just think to myself "this is not the reason I'm here".  After repeating this little mantra a couple of times I chill and get on with it and it all becomes water off a ducks back.  I often remind myself that no matter why the situation is why it is, I'm not going to change it so I soon get over it and it becomes the norm.  I'm reminded of two quotes:

"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change; 
courage to change the things I can; 
and wisdom to know the difference."

And,

“When you dance with the devil, the devil doesn't change. The devil changes you.”

Hrmm, two quotes based in religion from a Humanist.  

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, MikeB said:

OP,  I think you recently moved to the Phils. In the Philippines, by any reasonable standard, employees are exploited and treated extremely unfairly. They are paid peanuts and typically given 6 month contracts to avoid having to pay paltry benefits. So you have continual turnover and, in general, employees who just don’t care. I’m not making excuses for the unacceptable situation but it is what it is. It is the govt and the owners of the Gaisanos, SMs, Cebu Pacifics, Globes, etc who are to blame. As you have correctly noted, they throw their own employees into the fray with very little training, unequipped to handle the simplest tasks.

As for them being afraid of you, Filipinos are generally non-confrontational and have a deference and respect for older people. It’s a part of their culture or, perhaps, all Asian culture. The last thing they want is to be confronted by an angry, older person, especially a foreigner. But, make no mistake, if you push them too far they will turn on you and there will be no more “Sirs”. Toward the end of my run my wife had to handle all the dealings because I had no more patience left. Only your perception changes, the basic situation never will. There are things you have to learn to accept if you choose to live in their country.

Yes Mike the benefits they refuse to pay amount to about 500 peso a month and they are too tight to pay.The service could be so much better if the staff had a stable job and some training.Tell Christy well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

I have quite often complained about poor customer service and have always had my complaint dealt with efficiently and satisfactorily by senior management. I have found it's the lazy shop floor worker, who really can't be bothered, suddenly gets very worried when I insist is seeing a supervisor.

I think people don't complain enough, especially the locals who seem to accept poor customer service is  the norm here.

Ken

Agree Ken, that is exactly how I saw it.  Whether it makes a difference is problematical.  I was amazed when the 'Operations Manager' told me there was no staff training whatsoever????

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

I was amazed when the 'Operations Manager' told me there was no staff training whatsoever????

I am even more amazed that this person Admitted that to a foreigner who already Knew how to get things sorted.