Pets in the Philippines--do you have any?

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

We inherited two mongrel outdoor dogs, a mother and son when we arrived here. They were very scrawny and not very socialized, but over time they've gotten much bigger and healthier, and have gotten to be sweet pals, named Tiger and Cutie.  Tiger's tail and back leg foot pad had been torn by a motorcycle mishap before we lived here, so other than for balance, it's not much help to him.  That hasn't stopped him though--  he is super athletic, and and can run and climb with abandon! A super sweet guy. that really does looks like an orange striped tiger! Cutie is sweet but  sometimes stubborn, more aloof and"catlike" at times.20170916_160604.jpg20160915_070154.jpg20160921_125947.jpg We recently got a new neighborhood puppy that we named Popeye, (above) and he was neutered recently. He has been a joy to have around, and has livened up the lives of the other two older dogs too.

I'd hoped at one point to acquire a parrot or some other myna type bird that we could train and be able to keep around the yard without a cage, but that hasn't happened. :smile: A domesticated lizard--iguana or chameleon might be a fun pet to have also I'd think, although I've no experience with any of those.

I was always a cat person, and had never owned a dog in the past, so this is a new experience for us. Maybe all the assorted wildlife here in the yard is enough to have besides the dogs.  Dogs/pets are a big responsibility though, but pay back in their love and companionship. Being the often precarious place that the Philippines can be at times. we strive not to become too attached to them, but that isn't easy to do.

Do many of you have pets that you've acquired over time here?  If so are they the common variety? Any exotic pets?  Please share any pet experiences that you've had so far.

Queenie

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Good for you! We rescued several kittens and dogs from certain death. The most pathetic of all was a blind, starving orange cat that was maybe 4 months old. She was “living” in a ditch across the street and wandering in front of tricycles, not long for this world. But my wife brought her home, fed and cared for her. We tried to get her spayed at about 6 months but the vet wouldn’t do it because she was still too weak. He didn't think she would survive the operation. She became impregnated and had 2 healthy kittens, turned out to be a great mother. When we left we brought a dog (bought not rescued) and a cat to the US. Gave another to the helper and took the rest to the wife’s family. They are still doing ok, she sends money periodically for food and vet visits. Seeing all the abandoned puppies and kittens bothered me a lot. I kept telling my wife that sometimes you have to look the other way but she never could.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Queenie are those three pets called Askal (spelling?) dogs?

My family had a German Shepherd but he passed some time ago, infected with heart worms. I would take him for long walks on lead  halarious the reactions the locals would run away jeepnees stop passengers looking mouth agape so on. The children nearby knew Insept and would pet him or hold my hand and walk with us for awhile. Good memories.

• Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Old55 said:

Queenie are those three pets called Askal (spelling?) dogs?

My family had a German Shepherd but he passed some time ago, infected with heart worms. I would take him for long walks on lead  halarious the reactions the locals would run away jeepnees stop passengers looking mouth agape so on. The children nearby knew Insept and would pet him or hold my hand and walk with us for awhile. Good memories.

Yes Old55--they're all local "askal" or "aspin" mixed breed dogs. I must say that from our observation, they are very tough, tolerant dogs that have adapted well to living in poor conditions with not a lot of care or attention.  That German Shepherd must have been a fun character!:smile:  Even our dogs a rather "burly" by local province standards, and folks that don't know them are frightened when they come out of the gate sometimes.:smile: 

As an aside, I'm not sure that townspeople here are even aware that every town and in the city there is a licensed vet and staff.  They provide free neutering for male dogs, and free anti-rabies shots yearly to all local dogs.   Our town vet is great and would administer extra preventative shots/meds if one bought them. We love the town vet and always tip him for his kind help to our local dogs.  Our neighbors with pets were not aware that these services were available.

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 1

roddavis
Posted
Posted

When I arrived here 3 years ago, I tried to bring my two dos from the States. They were Chihuahua/Pug mix. Got all the paperwork done/vet vaccinations and such ready to leave. Got transport cages and proper signage, was ready to go, then denied by airlines,saying they could not transport over the summer months after I checked with the airlines on what was needed. They neglected to say anything about transport over certain months. Bummed out about them, and dropped off at sister to take care of since I already had tickets. Arrived in Cebu, without my pets and feeling a little down.

Saw the number of stray cats and dogs here and thought well maybe I could rescue a few dogs. Checked into the local breed (askal) and learned they are a very intelligent breed a very hearty health wise. So found a male and two female pups to take care of. Had a minor problem with red mange ( common with with most dogs here, thats probably why the local dogs look soo scabby and loss of hair). Now I fed them a mix of dog chow with rice and did most of the vaccinations. The two females of course got pregnant at the same time and kept them in a large dog run. These dogs figuered out how to climb an 8 foot chain link fence. Had to put sheet metal up to prevent the climbing. Then they learned how to jump against the wall and spring off over the fence. Amazing escape artists. Then they delivered a couple of litters. Now had 11 puppies! Nothing quite enjoyable then sitting down with 11 puppies all jumping up and licking you! Anyway, a couple of puppies were still born, probably caused by jumping/falling over the high fence, but the alive ones were very health and pudgy! Too many dogs to care for, had all but three pups adopted away to Filipino families and friends. I think because of their diet of dog chow they grew very large and healthy.

They are twice the size of the local askals, and very dense and sturdy. About the size of large German Shepherds. The locals are afraid of approaching our house because of the size of the dogs, so they make a great burglar alarm day/night. No one gets in that they don't see on a daily basis! The diet they are given makes them grow very large here, yet they are very gentle pets. Never bitten anyone, just deep barks to those that do not live here. but since they are large, outside people just don't like to be near.

The only problem is, these dogs like to chase and kill chickens, especially stray cats! I haven't seen cats around here in the last year. But their temperament and friendly expressions to the owners are one of the best I have seen. They talk to you and cuddle, and have the most amazing facial expressions. Learn tricks very fast, house broken in just a couple of days. One of the best dog breeds I've ever had.

So what happened to all the other puppies that were adopted? By year latter, they were all dead! Filipinos I don't think know how to take care of pets here. Some cage them in too small cages and are not let out very often. Or they are just feed scraps and maybe rice( as most stray dog here). I never seen anyone else hug and pet their dogs like we do. Most I know can't afford to but decent dog food or care for them properly. This may be a western thing, but animals are not treated well here sad to say!

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Several homes in my folks subdivision have dogs kept in cages just large enough for them to turn around in. I find that inhumane in the extreme. It's difficult to understand how humans can be so thoughtless. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We have 3 guard animals.  Normally one naps while the other two are on duty.

DSCN5341.JPG  DSCN5342.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Rod,  Sorry to hear about you having to leave your beloved dogs behind in the US, but glad that you now have some great local dogs.

I agree with everything that you said, and have had very similar experiences with our dogs too. :smile: Tiger and Cutie are great climbers and Cutie can climb our seawall easily if she wants to.:smile: They don't like our neighbors cats, and used to bark at them, but now they are tolerated when they get in and wander around. The neighbors chickens walk around the street and sometimes fly over the gate to our garden,  but the dogs don't bother them at all for some reason. They don't like the monitor lizards though, and will chase them sometimes.

Yes sadly, many local folks want to own a dog, but either can't afford or don't have a clue how to keep them well.  Many are often carelessly cared for.  Our neighbor dogs have gotten a lot of affection and treats at our house, and if given the chance will sit outside our gate in anticipation. Dogs are not petted mostly here, and just hang out. They don't get to express themselves or really show their clever and sweet personalities. Anyone who gives a askal a try, will find a tough, smart easily trained, and lovable pet!

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

We have 3 guard animals.  Normally one naps while the other two are on duty.

DSCN5341.JPG  DSCN5342.JPG

What a great bunch OMW!:smile: Does the black one have a name?

I notice here that most folks don't even give a name to their pets!

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Does the black one have a name?

Of course!  Blackie!  Our eldest daughter  named him when we got him as a street kitten in Laguna, the day before we moved to Subic.

P1150631.JPG

• Like 1