Roof Ventilation Whiligigs & Insulation

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

Hi all, has anyone noticed many of these on roofs on private dwellings in Phils?

http://www.eco.ph/whirlwind-roof-ventilator

Wife has decided to put a ceiling into the family home in the province (Southern Leyte), and I keep telling her it would be a good idea to put one or two of these up as well as some insulation in the ceiling at the same time to really drop the temperatures down inside. 

Whirlwind_387_348_90.jpg

mogo51
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Paul_QLD said:

Hi all, has anyone noticed many of these on roofs on private dwellings in Phils?

http://www.eco.ph/whirlwind-roof-ventilator

Wife has decided to put a ceiling into the family home in the province (Southern Leyte), and I keep telling her it would be a good idea to put one or two of these up as well as some insulation in the ceiling at the same time to really drop the temperatures down inside. 

Whirlwind_387_348_90.jpg

Yes my neighbour where we have just move to has one in his roof ane I had them in Qld in Oz.  They certainly do lower the temperature in the house.  They are available in Philippines, don't know how you would go in Leyte, but would think you could get them in  Cebu.  I am going to put one in here once we settle in.  Been too busy fixes problems, painting, drainage problems etc and nearly finished.  Now want to sit back for a few weeks and saviour our new place.

You won't regret installing them, but suspect you already know that.  Philippines think they will leak and they will if not put in  properly = that could be the biggest problem.

• Like 2

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

When I installed one one my home in rural QLD it made an easy 5-6 degrees difference inside the house and that was pre-insulation.

Leaking ... yes, the roof already has leaks and if they don't fix these properly before installing the ceiling, this is going to create a whole new set of problems. Why is it Filipinos think of an outcome first, but not the steps involved of how to get there efficiently.

Finding credible information locally in Phils when your in AU is so frustrating, especially when they are not aware of the usefulness of products such as these.  Wife said, we don't need, lets just do air conditioning next after ceiling!

The blank stare when I said, this plus insulation may alleviate the use of air conditioning completely ... shit they survived on fans this long, dropping 5 or 6 degrees all day long for very little long term outlay can only be a bonus and no increase in electricity costs due to air cond.

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I got the same blank looks when I suggested water filtration on a water tank to negate the need for buying drinking water in my ex's place north of Dumaguete a few years back during a major renovation.  On the upside, the idea of solar panels and batteries was better received though.... Baby steps :89:

• Haha 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

We put one of these solar extractors in when we built. The roofers installed it for us. We just have one big lid over our space so we only required one.

It has a cable that leads to a digital controller thingie that tells you the temp/humidity in the roof space. During the night, you can run it off of house current if you like.

http://www.eco.ph/ (not affiliated)

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Yes, we have them around in Subic and I would like to have them someday.

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

How much were the solar extractors JDDavao?

Half looked at them, but think the whirligigs should be good enough.

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Paul_QLD said:

How much were the solar extractors JDDavao?

Half looked at them, but think the whirligigs should be good enough.

The pricelist says our one 15W would cost P20,000. We have days down here - especially with the surrounding trees - when the air is dead still so the wind-driven ones wouldn't work for us part of the time.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

The pricelist says our one 15W would cost P20,000. We have days down here - especially with the surrounding trees - when the air is dead still so the wind-driven ones wouldn't work for us part of the time.

They're not wind driven, the heat air from the ceiling cavity naturally flows up out out through the whirligig even on the stillest days causing the thing to spin.  

• Like 3

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
Just now, BrettGC said:

They're not wind driven, the heat air from the ceiling cavity naturally flows up out out through the whirligig even on the stillest days causing the thing to spin.  

That's right. I knew that. Time for more coffee for me. :morning1:

• Like 1