Roof Ventilation Whiligigs & Insulation

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

I must be losing it, didn't even think to look for a price guide ... and now that I have, couldn't find it! Mind passing me a link please.

I didn't think wind was needed for the non-powered whirligigs. Cant recall seeing mine on the house in AU never rotating, thought the heat from inside the roof made it rotate.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Paul_QLD said:

When I installed one one my home in rural QLD it made an easy 5-6 degrees difference inside the house and that was pre-insulation.

Leaking ... yes, the roof already has leaks and if they don't fix these properly before installing the ceiling, this is going to create a whole new set of problems. Why is it Filipinos think of an outcome first, but not the steps involved of how to get there efficiently.

Finding credible information locally in Phils when your in AU is so frustrating, especially when they are not aware of the usefulness of products such as these.  Wife said, we don't need, lets just do air conditioning next after ceiling!

The blank stare when I said, this plus insulation may alleviate the use of air conditioning completely ... shit they survived on fans this long, dropping 5 or 6 degrees all day long for very little long term outlay can only be a bonus and no increase in electricity costs due to air cond.

I am not sure it will end the need for air con, that is a personal thing.  We dont use ACs much as I a happy with fans.  ACs are a bit of an institution here now it seems.

Getting the whirlybird will be the biggest problem where you are, I would think.

Your question about Phil logic is a good one, but I don't have an answer.!!!

mogo51
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Paul_QLD said:

I must be losing it, didn't even think to look for a price guide ... and now that I have, couldn't find it! Mind passing me a link please.

I didn't think wind was needed for the non-powered whirligigs. Cant recall seeing mine on the house in AU never rotating, thought the heat from inside the roof made it rotate.

That is my understanding.  The guy who has one is a 'builder' of sorts, says there is a new one on the market which is supposed to be whizzbang, did not know the price when I asked him.  But he will install for 500 pesos, bargain!!!

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

Labour cost is fantastic in phils - the ceiling install including materials and a few other odd jobs is going to be less then P40K. We could get it done cheaper by using the local barangay labourers, but the quality will be down and the job might takes weeks or months and possibly never be 100% completed.

The outside skilled workers should be done in a week or less apparently.

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

I am not sure it will end the need for air con, that is a personal thing.

Pretty sure it will if we don't provide .  .

Edited by Paul_QLD
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Paul_QLD said:

The outside skilled workers should be done in a week or less apparently.

All I would say here is Make sure your Roof is Secure Wind up on the Roof can be evil.  No matter how skilled your installers are they will only be as good as the Roof is Properly Fixed

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

We fitted 2 of these when we built couple years ago. One I sent out from Brisbane, the other bought locally in citi hardware.  Had a few out of the box spinning on the floor to check bearings, surprisingly the citi hardware one is still fine.

I think best have an experienced roofer fit them as we did, cost us P3k to fit both, expensive but zero leaks and done correctly, they normally more capable than average so called carpenter.

Do they make a difference Here?  Well as fitted when built hard to say although I consider not as much as Aussie, why, perhaps the night temp drops more than in Aussie than here. Our main bedroom, with roof fan  is no cooler than a smaller bedroom.. Several items must be considered though, we have much more glass, do get more sun early pm and so on.

What did make a difference was Styrofor 4 inch, dropped around 2c, also if a scorcher try hosing the roof down around 5pm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

Hi RBM, I am also wondering if it would make a difference, mainly due to the humidity maybe not as much as here, but for $100 I reckon it is worth a try especially now that the ceiling is being put in.

The styrofor is a in ceiling insulation?

intrepid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Paul_QLD said:

Finding credible information locally in Phils when your in AU is so frustrating, especially when they are not aware of the usefulness of products such as these.  Wife said, we don't need, lets just do air conditioning next after ceiling!

Doesn't matter where you are located.  Finding credible information about things in the Philippines is always a challenge.   That's why we are here on the forum.  Helps make life here a little less stressful.  By t he way, I too love the roof Ventilator and I think it was Wilcon where I say them here.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Tongue in cheek, install it above the man hole cover.:hystery: I have been wondering about how they would go in Typhoon country too, thanks all.