Roof Ventilation Whiligigs & Insulation

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Clermont said:

Tongue in cheek, install it above the man hole cover.:hystery: I have been wondering about how they would go in Typhoon country too, thanks all. 

We had 2 of these western rotary cowls installed on the outlaws roof some 3 plus years ago (San Fernando City La Union)  and yes a big difference in the house temperature with no insulation in the ceiling. Normal rains fine but the first, second and third typhoons water poured into the ceiling space, these were eventually removed and the ceiling relined, costly yes, a great idea that didn't work with side ways rain and high wind. We should have invested in decent ceiling insulation. In most parts of Oz they are everywhere but don't often see them in PH. Depends on the weather I suppose.

Cheers, Steve.

• Thanks 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, Clermont said:

Tongue in cheek, install it above the man hole cover.:hystery: I have been wondering about how they would go in Typhoon country too, thanks all. 

If really windy we have a lady cover our 2 with a tarp. Rare but has happened.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, bigpearl said:

We had 2 of these western rotary cowls installed on the outlaws roof some 3 plus years ago (San Fernando City La Union)  and yes a big difference in the house temperature with no insulation in the ceiling. Normal rains fine but the first, second and third typhoons water poured into the ceiling space, these were eventually removed and the ceiling relined, costly yes, a great idea that didn't work with side ways rain and high wind. We should have invested in decent ceiling insulation. In most parts of Oz they are everywhere but don't often see them in PH. Depends on the weather I suppose.

Cheers, Steve.

I would suggest incorrect installation as  we have been through some pretty savage windy wet times without a drop coming in. As said earlier one unit we sent from Brisbane, the other was local.

• Thanks 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I've never used them but I have heard if correctly installed no water comes in, seen some buggered after a big 4 to 6 " storm, thinking on it and reading posts, maybe some type of cover during Typhoon time may help.

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, RBM said:

I would suggest incorrect installation as  we have been through some pretty savage windy wet times without a drop coming in. As said earlier one unit we sent from Brisbane, the other was local.

Only relating our experience RBM and not doubting they work and work well as there are plenty about in OZ, as for installation I am a plumber and gas fitter, well was for 25 years and did inspect after the completed job and they were installed correctly. Perhaps wind sheer along with roof pitch and lots of water.

Cheers, Steve.

• Thanks 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Paul_QLD said:

Pretty sure it will if we don't provide .  .

You are right but be prepared for the flack.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, bigpearl said:

Cheers, Steve.

Thanks for the post Steve, was considering putting one in the house but will follow your suggestion and install insulation.  The guy across from me has one in and says they are fine.  But no point in testing fate when there are alternatives.

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
On 9/22/2017 at 10:17 AM, Paul_QLD said:

I must be losing it, didn't even think to look for a price guide ... and now that I have, couldn't find it! Mind passing me a link please.

Not sure if the PL is on site. I have one here on my laptop I'm uploading. It's from 2015.

I didn't think wind was needed for the non-powered whirligigs. Cant recall seeing mine on the house in AU never rotating, thought the heat from inside the roof made it rotate.

Yeah, you're right. I was undercaffeinated when I wrote that.

2015 Ventilation - SRP with Taxes.pdf

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 9/22/2017 at 4:06 PM, bigpearl said:

don't often see them in PH. Depends on the weather I suppose.

Yes, depends on the weather.  We haven't that many high wind storms in Dumaguete so about every 5th house in my subdivision has one of those whirlygigs.  I was considering trying on as the upstairs is plenty hot on a summer day.  After reading your post about possible leaks I am wondering if I should bother.  I'll try to remember to update if and when I do it but so far the neighbors all seem to like them.

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
On 23/09/2017 at 9:07 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yes, depends on the weather.  We haven't that many high wind storms in Dumaguete so about every 5th house in my subdivision has one of those whirlygigs.  I was considering trying on as the upstairs is plenty hot on a summer day.  After reading your post about possible leaks I am wondering if I should bother.  I'll try to remember to update if and when I do it but so far the neighbors all seem to like them.

Thanks Dave, There is plenty of hot air in my office also but we just crank up the A/C to compensate. I Think the instance with the outlaws and leaks with Typhoons is perhaps an isolated instance given high wind, lots of rain and a roof pitch starting at 5 degrees and the next pitch at 20 degrees (where the rotary cowls are/were located was a recipe for disaster, horizontal sheer with lots of water involved and low and increasing roof pitches apparently does not work) so the water was probably driving at 90 degrees to the rotary cowl, there are big openings at 90 degrees but not if you look at zero or even 45 degrees no chance of ingress.

Go with the local experiences as I am sure ours was an isolated instance with no malice to rotary cowl design.

Cheers, Steve.

• Thanks 1