Historical WWII Landmarks

marine6357
Posted
Posted

I am hoping the great members of this forum can help me. I am starting my plan for my visit in January 2018 and was wondering if anyone knows some sites to visit. I will be there for at least 6 weeks and mainly staying in Northern Luzon area and near Manila. I am somewhat of a military history buff and plan on trying to at least see parts of the Bataan area from the march. But also any off the beaten path sites that may interest me. Thank's again. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

The best one I have found so far in terms of upkeep and tourism, is Corregidor in Manila bay. Run by the Philippine tourism agency. Guides are well informed. Its a complete day including the boat ride out there. One of the first places I take visitors to. Lots of info about schedules and pricing online. Other than that there is the odd monument here and there (usually not very well kept up). Most beah resorts seem to have an old Japanese field gun sitting in odd places. 

• Like 2

Castaway
Posted
Posted (edited)

I would go to Baguio, known for the Battle of Baguio, which was part of the greater Luzon campaign during the Allied liberation of the Philippines at the end of World War II. Baguio later became the scene of the final surrender of Japanese forces in the Philippines in September 1945, which included the capture of the infamous General Yamashita (who was later sentenced to death and executed by hanging in 1946).

There are still many remnants of the Japanese occupation, such as the caves and tunnels under the city that were dug by the Japanese.

Inside-the-Japanese-Tunnel-in-Botanical-Garden.jpg

Edited by Castaway
  • Like 2

marine6357
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys those are exactly some of the things I was looking for. Hope some other have more ideas.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Just now, marine6357 said:

Hope some other have more ideas.

Unfortunately Marine, they are really few and far between in my experience. Legaspi has some Japanese caves and museums might have a display or two, and I remember seeing a monument to the Bataan death march in Pampanga (extremely not cared for) and in Manila you can still see a bullet hole on an old building now and again (but they might be from robberies lol)

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Marine6357,

I know that Cebu is probably not an area planned for this upcoming trip of yours, but maybe for a future historical one.  In our town in Barangay Illi-han, Tabogon Cebu, there has been builtDSC_1263_1.jpg a recent memorial to commemorate the surrender of 9,867 Japanese troops here, ending WorldWarII in Cebu on August 28,1945. 

In 2015 a VFW contingent from the US made a trip to visit this new memorial.  Rather a far flung place to get to, but one that you might like to visit sometime. I think that there is also a site in Talisay Cebu where troops surrendered too

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Marine6357,

I know that Cebu is probably not an area planned for this upcoming trip of yours, but maybe for a future historical one.

Likewise her on Negros Marine but the Valencia Monument is well looked After and would be worth a visit sometime in the Future.

japanese shrine  in good shape.jpg  japanese shrine looks good.jpg

• Like 2

marine6357
Posted
Posted

I want to thank all of you who have given me a lot of great places to visit. I will try and see as many as I can on my first trip. This trip will be my first to the Philippines and if I like it then I am seriously considering it as the land of my retirement, So if all goes well I will have plenty of opportunities to see them all.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, marine6357 said:

wondering if anyone knows some sites to visit

There are places to look at the sunken Japanese ships from WW2 if you like to dive.  I don't dive but listening to divers talk about them they sound interesting.

Examples at this site: http://www.coralbay.ph/scuba-diving/world-war-ii-wrecks/

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

In Manila there is the American Cemetery.

Laika_ac_Manila_American_Cemetery_(64452

img_0293.jpg

You can sit with Gen. McArthur in Intramuros at Fort Santiago. Some of those structures are still pretty shot up from the Battle of Manila. The Imperial Japanese Army dumped hundreds of American POWs in the dungeon there after they took the city. They did not survive.

Douglas-MacArthur.jpg

ManilaIntramuros.jpg

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 1