Historical WWII Landmarks

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Reboot said:

You can sit with Gen. McArthur in Intramuros at Fort Santiago.

And offer him a light for his pipe.:smile:

DSCN2961.gif

• Like 5

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

In Puerto Princesa, Palawan, there is an atrocity site and memorial where a bunch of US POWs were murdered and a WW2 museum which has some very interesting exhibits.

I was once at the site of MacArthur's return. on Leyte. Can't recommend it.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I found Mount Samat worth half a day to visit. When we were there the elevator in the cross was out of action so couldn't go up inside, the small museum was ok.

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Guy F. said:

In Puerto Princesa, Palawan, there is an atrocity site and memorial where a bunch of US POWs were murdered and a WW2 museum which has some very interesting exhibits.

I was once at the site of MacArthur's return. on Leyte. Can't recommend it.

Have a picture here somewhere. They got burned alive by the beach. They still keep up the memorial nice. When I was there it looked freshly painted. It's worth visiting if you're in PP. 

Edited by Reboot

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Here's a picture...

20161009_095407.jpg

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

At the museum there is a photo of some of the Japanese who were involved, at their war crimes trial.

Clermont
Posted
Posted

The wife said Corrigidor Island about four hours from Manila, Bataan. It has tanks and guns, + I don't know. Straight from the wife's mouth. She has told me stories about her LoLo taking his family up into the mountains during time of occupancy., sad times for the PI. Go to the PI museum in Manila and look at the paintings and you will understand why not much memorabilia was preserved. It's a pity the younger generation can't remember their history lessons about foreigners liberating there the PI.

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Clermont said:

The wife said Corrigidor Island about four hours from Manila, Bataan. It has tanks and guns, + I don't know. Straight from the wife's mouth. She has told me stories about her LoLo taking his family up into the mountains during time of occupancy., sad times for the PI. Go to the PI museum in Manila and look at the paintings and you will understand why not much memorabilia was preserved. It's a pity the younger generation can't remember their history lessons about foreigners liberating there the PI.

The high-speed boat used for the day tour takes about an hour and a half to reach the island. Normally I am not keen on tour groups but IMHO this one is extremely well organised and the guides are genuinely knowledgeable: they don't just recite a script learned by rote.

If you have the time it is well worth spending a night in the Corregidor Inn. This gives you time to explore the island by yourself. Don't expect five-star luxury however the inn is comfortable enough and atmospheric with a feel of Old Manila.

Edited by not so old china hand
Removing repitition
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, not so old china hand said:

The high-speed boat used for the day tour takes about an hour and a half to reach the island. Normally I am not keen on tour groups but IMHO this one is extremely well organised and the guides are genuinely knowledgeable: they don't just recite a script learned by rote.

If you have the time it is well worth spending a night in the Corregidor Inn. This gives you time to explore the island by yourself. Don't expect five-star luxury however the inn is comfortable enough and atmospheric with a feel of Old Manila.

Yes a good day out.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

Yes a good day out.

Agreed, I ususally take my visitors there, been there 3 times in 2 years, always enjoy it

• Like 2