High heels at work out. New DOLE order

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Makes sense to me. :thumbsup:

MANILA, Sept. 24 (Xinhua) -- The Philippine government's order to stop companies from requiring women employees to wear high-heels at work took effect on Sunday.
Last month, the Philippine Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has issued department order 178 mandating companies that female workers, especially sales clerks, security personnel and teachers, should not be required to wear shoes with heels higher than an inch in the workplace.
The order was issued to address the impact of wearing high-heeled shoes on the health of female workers, whose jobs force them to stand for long periods, such as strain on the lower limbs, muscles, hip, knee and ankle joints.
The order covers "all workers who, by the nature of their jobs, have to stand at work such as sales clerks, teachers and security personnel."
"All employers or establishments are directed to institute appropriate control measures to address the risks to safety and health of workers while standing at work, including implementing rest periods to break or cut the time spent on standing," the order says.
It also orders employers to "install appropriate flooring or mats that will mitigate the impact of frequent walking and prevent fatigue, such as wood or rubber."
The order further mandates employers "to provide readily accessible seats to be used during rest period or even during working hours."
The DOLE's Bureau of Working Conditions Director Teresita Cucueco said there are attendant health issues in prolonged standing, particularly while wearing high-heeled shoes in the workplace.
"If the muscles have been overloaded because of the prolonged standing position, there will be a burden on our back as well as on our legs. There will be pain because of fatigue. What will be affected here are the joints, the musculoskeletal system. It can cause some problems in the spine, in the lower legs, and in the end, if this is not properly corrected, one can have arthritis and other related musculoskeletal disorders," she said.
The order also encourages the employers to consult their workers in coming up with other measures that can be implemented to address the occupation safety and health concerns of workers who have to stand at work for long periods.
It said DOLE officers will be inspecting and monitoring "the proper and strict implementation" of the department order.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-09/24/c_136634310.htm

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

If it truly will make their life better I am in agreement.  I will also probably shed a few tears the next time I go to Gaisano if I fail to see those shapely legs.  I am also a fan of the way they wear the hair up in a bun, hope that is next to get regulated.  :Mad:

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Just common sense one would think and definitely a bonus for women's feet.  But you know what they say about common sense - not very common. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The Philippine government's order to stop companies from requiring women employees to wear high-heels at work

As I understand it, they can still require their employees to be a minimum height so they could just say:  Applicants must be a minimum 5' 5" tall and "may" use high heels to reach that  height but are not "required" to.  Work-around achieved!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

As I understand it, they can still require their employees to be a minimum height so they could just say:  Applicants must be a minimum 5' 5" tall and "may" use high heels to reach that  height but are not "required" to.  Work-around achieved!

Could but if they carry out their inspections as they say then the company will still be in breach. I said if :smile:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Sometimes I am glad I am on the down slope of life. It seems the longer I live the more that governments around the world are telling us what to do when it is just common sense:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

It said DOLE officers will be inspecting and monitoring "the proper and strict implementation" of the department order.

'Crash Helmets' comes to mind (in Dumaguete anyway) I have just text "A" to see what they Do as a norm at the Office on Shoes

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Crash Helmets' comes to mind (in Dumaguete anyway)

One is a police matter the other is a workplace matter so I dont know if the DOLE do their job. :89:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jollygoodfellow said:

One is a police matter the other is a workplace matter so I dont know if the DOLE do their job. :89:

Well yes but i was really making light of the Inspect & monitor thing, anyway I may have an answer to this on the Dole later when HTMBO has text me Back

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

On a lighter note, how can the girls at SM hope to snag a rich foreigner if they dress just like the fish seller in the pelenke:hystery: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1