Do you find your SO or Family insensitive at times?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:89: I don't want to start a war of Words or talk down about anyone but will ask a Question.

"Do you find your SO or the Family insensitive at times? (or any Locals you know) Little stories will help I am sure:whistling:

The Reason I am asking this is quite simple and should be self explanatory but :571c66d400c8c_1(103): Some may remember that we lost our Lola not long ago, she had a little Spitz (Bitch) that followed her just about everywhere. Now on Saturday at the City vets, our nephew brought "Cotton" (the Dog) down to be neutered.

He asked Azon if we could have her at our house as all she does is lie on Lolas bedroom Floor in her Room ( No one will use this room Yet  until after 1 year)  and no one is caring for her. It was not the thing of asking as I said yep OK! we can do that, she knows all our Dogs anyway BUT it is what he said after that upset me a lot at the time. Ante, he exclaimed, she will be a replacement for "Shadow" Now of course for those that have been Following my poorly Dog Topic will know that my Boy is still Fighting Daily to stay with us and very much alive & still with us as poorly as he is.

Hence my Question on Insensitivity, are they insensitive or do they just not Think at times of what they say?

Anyone?:huh: 

Jack:mellow:

Morning All:photo-109:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

are they insensitive or do they just not Think at times of what they say?

I find the average filipino is sensitive about some things, like their kids (some take real offense when you call their little tyke a monkey).  I find they have more sensitivity when talking about a fighting cock than they do about a dog.  A large number of filipinos have no bond with dogs as we westerners do.

I have seen the same differences in sensitivity with westerners.  Example, my sister in law once got mad at my mother for having a dog in a cage/kennel that is about 10 times larger than the largest cage you will see here in Philippines.  So one day when Mum was at work my sister in law came and took the dog out to her sisters farm.  When mum came home from work she was told what had been done and she got mad.  She told the sister-in-law to go get that dog back here right now.  Oops, too late.  Her sister's husband had seen a strange dog running around his farm and shot it.  There are insensitive people everywhere.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Jack I don't know those family members but it's likely it was intended with the very best intentions. I can say I do feel your pain in this difficult time I still feel sadness and loss for my dog who passed nearly ten years ago. Once I retire (SOON!) Hear that Steve?! I plan to get another Bulldog.

Edited by Old55
Spelling auto correct got me once more
  • Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I find that I have to choose my words carefully or they will get upset but they can say what they want.I think Jack that sometimes they just don`t think.C U tomorrow.

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Yeah I hear you Jack, it is their culture, they never get too emotionally attached to anything, humans, animals, material things. I think it is because they have lost so much during their lives, their emotional feelings are lost.

My wife told me when they were shifting house one time they left their dog to guard the house and when they came back he was missing. After inquiring about his whereabouts, one of the neighbors told her a neighbor had eaten him.What did you do about it i asked, nothing he was hungry. Just as well it wasn't my dog. 

I could go on about brothers dyeing and in-laws dyeing without so much as a tear, maybe they harden up quicker than us foreigners.

I've been following your post on the dog, I hope he makes it.

• Like 3

Castaway
Posted
Posted

Although I have no experience with insensitivity concerning dogs, I can speak about my Filipino family’s insensitivity when my oldest child tragically passed away (in the US) at the age of 29. 

When I first received the news by phone, I was bawling so bad that I felt like my entire body was about to explode... but my mother-in-law (who was already told about what had happened to my son by my SO) asked me, ‘’what is wrong” and “why are you crying?”

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Castaway said:

Although I have no experience with insensitivity concerning dogs, I can speak about my Filipino family’s insensitivity when my oldest child tragically passed away (in the US) at the age of 29. 

When I first received the news by phone, I was bawling so bad that I felt like my entire body was about to explode... but my mother-in-law (who was already told about what had happened to my son by my SO) asked me, ‘’what is wrong” and “why are you crying?”

I witnessed my ex MIL act like that with my then Auntie in law when her father died in the US. When the MILs dog died she was distraught.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Yup guess we must accept the culture difference. Super sensitive about relation ships, jokes about locals  is definitely a no go area. At times difficult as often we westerners make cracks about one another,  here do that to the SO or another local and look out....Not necessary a criticism just pointing  out it is what it is...

Jack as of yet have not seen the genuine affection given to an animal as we would do. Not saying it does not happen just not seen it, we say oh yeah, they to concerned about next meal....Not all, those whom have, often use a dog as a status symbol. 

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

Long ago, I ran headlong into my wife's (cultural?) attitude about certain deaths. The exchange would go something like this:

"Flatbottom Smith died."

"Oh?"

"Yes. He was a very famous blues guitar player. Very popular in the United States. He had dozens of hits and millions of fans."

"How old?"

"84."

"Oh, he was old. Better he died."

I've never really been able to explain to myself the "better he died" part. I think some of it is "it's good he didn't suffer" and another part is, "he had a good life".

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I don't know if it's insensitivity or just plain can't be bothered. One partner told me it was her grandmother's 73rd birthday and she forgot to sent money so they could celebrate. She was changing out of her dress into a casual nighty as she told me. I pointed out it was just after 12 and the Palawan is 100m away so she's got plenty of time. Her reply" I'm too tired" 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1