Anyone living in Baguio City?

MariChris
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Clermont said:

MariCris, I've read your posts and just a  thought, why not let the older two research the PI on the computer by themselves away from mum and dad, then monitor their enthusiasm, there going to be your downfall if your venture fails, I'm sure it won't and start teaching them the language now, the dialect is mostly Tagalog and ilokano and make it a venture they want to be part of.

I see you already have a house there, my advice go slow before saddling up with an agent from a housing estate, maybe buy a bit of land and build your own dream, and involve the children. 

There is lots of advice on land ownership in this forum, some argumental, some facts, some experiences, just read the links that have been supplied.

all the best.:thumbsup:

Hi!! That's a great idea . I'll tell them to research the Philippines on their own. Maybe they can find a couple of youtubers that are kids that they can relate to, although we have been sharing the YouTube videos we watch. They actually want to leave like now to the PI because all their cousins are there as well lol but we have to explain to them we have to take care of things here first and save more money. 

Both the husband and I speak Tagalog and Ilocano. My boys know a little bit of Tagalog. But what I most excited is that they will be learning it when we move there. But my husband is the fluent one between us  he was born and raised in the Philippines and I was born in the Philippines but raised in the states. So I can understand and speak both Tagalog and Ilocano

My husband owns land where his family is from and my parents own land and houses around the la union area too. (My parents are dual citizens as well) our condo is really our very first property that my husband and I own. But most likely what we will do is when we move there we will stay in our condo and that is when we will do our house search. Both the husband and I can own land there since we both was born in the PI. Def an ideal situation . The kids are def involved in the house situation so they have been interacting with us. The two youngest ones already have a favorite type of house. And my youngest is already packed and ready to go. He is so silly lol 

thank you so much for your input! And thank you for the idea of having them use the computer!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, MariChris said:

@OnMyWay we don't want to be in central Baguio. Do you happen to know the outskirts of the area where it's more suburban? We are looking for homes in exclusive subdivisions away from all the the chaos and high up where it is fresh. 

The hubby and I were talking about the other places to stay and we really don't want to be too far from family. 

So im wondering if it's possible to really love living there even though it is not like how it use to be. 

I heard tagaytay is nice and almost similar weather but traffic and congestion is getting pretty bad and growing. So I guess with growth comes other issues. Right. 

Earthdome is our only active member (I think) who has lived in Baguio so he has some good advice.  I will ask my BIL about developments outside the city.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, earthdome said:

There are 5 major roads in/out of Baguio. The least used of those is Ambaklao Rd which goes east through the mountains towards the Cagayan Valley and Pan Asian Highway. That road was turned into a 2 lane cement road about 10 years ago and when I left almost three years ago there wasn't much development out that way and not much traffic on the road. If I were to return to Baguio this is the area I would look at to avoid a lot of the congestion from tourists and pollution from the city.

I love to drive so one of my best memories of Baguio is driving out on Ambaklao through mountains.  Good road and nice scenery.   I have an old post on that.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Thanks MariCris, I can't see a problem, you've done the research and I'm sure the family will enjoy the culture change, but the main thing I can see, is the communication skills with the cousins, but if you start teaching them the dialect now and if the cousins are on Facebook, encourage them to use the dialect, it's surprising how quick kids learn different languages.

good luck

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, MariChris said:

But ultimately, our desicion to leave is because we are in a position to live on a fixed income at such a young age and at a time where are kids are still young and we can enjoy and make memories with them.

If they have the means, many people like to travel.  Baguio is not well situated as far as airports, which is one of the reasons I chose not to live there 5 years ago.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, MariChris said:

@earthdome thank you! I'm still getting use to this forum and how to reply. Lol. I feel I am all over the place! 

This advice helps out so much! We are now looking at this area!

do you happen to know any good and secure subdivisions. We are trying to get connected to a realtor that is good and awaiting for the hubby to talk to relatives that live in that area currently. 

I don't recall any specifics about sub divisions. There is Camp John Hay which is very nice and has a public golf course. It is located next to Baguio Country Club which is a private golf course. No jeepney's are allowed in Camp John Hay so it is a bit more restricted. I expect the limited homes in there are very expensive. I recall seeing another private sub division with a 9 hole golf course but don't recall the name or location. Best is to have a look yourself once you have time to spend there in your condo. Best thing to do is ask people. You can meet American's and other foreigners at the Red Lion Pub on Leonard Wood Rd across from Teachers Camp. They would be a good source of local information. Good luck.

• Like 2

Lou49
Posted
Posted

I've been to Baguio 3 times, it is my favorite city in the PI. The daytime temp is always around 70 Ish degrees, a huge plus for me. Traffic and pollution can get ugly in the downtown area esp. at rush hour but the outlying areas were very ok for me. For me the climate makes all the difference.

• Like 1

MariChris
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Earthdome is our only active member (I think) who has lived in Baguio so he has some good advice.  I will ask my BIL about developments outside the city.

Thank you .

MariChris
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I love to drive so one of my best memories of Baguio is driving out on Ambaklao through mountains.  Good road and nice scenery.   I have an old post on that.

That's sounds lovely! We def love to drive as well! 

2 hours ago, Clermont said:

Thanks MariCris, I can't see a problem, you've done the research and I'm sure the family will enjoy the culture change, but the main thing I can see, is the communication skills with the cousins, but if you start teaching them the dialect now and if the cousins are on Facebook, encourage them to use the dialect, it's surprising how quick kids learn different languages.

good luck

Thank you! All his cousins can speak and understand English. But I can't wait until his cousins speak to them in Tagalog and Ilocano! It's true! Kids are amazing when it comes to language. 

When my parents retired in the Philippines my little brother was 9 at the time. He couldn't speak or understand a lick of Tagalog or Ilocano. Maybe a year into it. He was fluent in both! And better than me! Lol 

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Mogo (Ron) recently moved there I believe, might be good to sound him out.