What happens when dogs inbreed

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thank you for taking the time to share that useful information Terry! And please don't be shy to contribute more here we would welcome that.:smile:

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Excellent post Terry. Do you have statistics for inbreeding issues depending on country though? We have a big problem in Scotland with so called puppy farms in Ireland. They literally churn the dogs out then ship them to Scotland to sell. Something to do with a lack of regulation there as opposed to in Scotland where things are tightly controlled.

Due to this we see a high incidence of genetic problems. That's why I quoted the hip dysplasia issue as in the UK it is rated as a major issue with Alsations and other large dog breeds. 

Maybe in Australia the breeding is more tightly controlled leading to less of a problem. 

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Inbreeding is a big problem here in Suffolk, at least the weddings are cheap as you only have to invite one side of the family. Ok I'm bored sitting here in a airbnb in rainy Seatle.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

Inbreeding is a big problem here in Suffolk, at least the weddings are cheap as you only have to invite one side of the family. Ok I'm bored sitting here in a airbnb in rainy Seatle.

Gary, you're in Seattle?  Perhaps you can go out and find some inbreeding among the "Big Foot" family.....he, he.  

• Haha 1

WHIPPING BOY
Posted
Posted

Thank you to all who responded for your friendly and encouraging response, it is certainly appreciated.

Snowy, I am surprised to hear of the mass sale of puppies in Scotland.

UK is by far the most advanced animal caring country, with a ton of laws to support it too.

The type of unethical, uncaring breeding of dogs you refer to will usually be low price based marketing, the dogs sold will likely not have registered pedigrees recognised by a reputable kennel authority.

In the UK it would be ''Kennel Union'', or if say for German Shepherds then the governing body for that breed, which would be affiliated to the German SV [schaferhund Verien] in english, shepherd dog union. There are other bodies but those are the main ones and all documentation should clearly show the governing body for that breed.

So really it all comes down to educating the public. A good way to start is for interested new people to visit their local dog club, never to buy from pet shops or unregistered breeders [yes breeders must be a member as well] unless they know what they are doing. Having said that, the best service dogs are usually unregistered, but that's a gradual learning curve the new owner should take.

As far as statistics are concerned Snowy, they are available but obviously only from the above governing bodies. To expect statistics from puppy mills would be like asking a drug dealer for his balance sheets.

Inbreeding and line breeding are always done if one goes far enough back, it's the breeding from lesser dogs that reproduces the health problems. And since many people don't want to get informed themselves they need to rely on established organisations who dictate the rules to their members and thereby maintain an acceptable standard of health and temperament in the dogs they issue papers for.

The UK has several wonderful geneticists, notably Malcolm B. Willis. His books ''Genetics of the dog'' and ''The German Shepherd Dog'' are highly informative, if one has a head for math, and wants more detailed explanations.

''BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE''

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I finally have the answer!

22046693_1972225192993571_5023765925038791072_n.jpg

• Like 4

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 9/30/2017 at 9:58 PM, OnMyWay said:

I finally have the answer!

22046693_1972225192993571_5023765925038791072_n.jpg

WOW  do they all have a bun in the oven..........

• 3 months later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Jack's puppy topic reminded me I never followed up on this.  Also spurred by the fact that the daddy and mommy dog (brother and sister?) just stopped by to say hello and get a neck rub from me.  The houseboy walking them told me that 3 pups were still born, leaving only 2.  That was a while back so now the pups are already gone to new families.  I don't know for sure that they were inbred;  it is a strong assumption.

Also stopping by was my ex-landlord's son who has a male German shepard and a female huskie.  The young female is almost ready for pups and a daddy has already been lined up.  The future daddy is a brown / white huskie and the female is a beautiful black/gray/white with really nice markings.  I prefer the black/gray huskies.  This young female is fairly mellow for a husky.  My oldest daughter really wants a husky, so maybe...........

roddavis
Posted
Posted

Inbreeding can cause a host of problems with new borns. From still births to various sickness before the first year. I had 9 puppies that were inbred a couple of years ago. There was 1 still born, 4 we gave away to neighbors. The ones we gave away died before they were a year old. Don't know if mal treated We kept 4 puppies(1 male 3 females) We have had them for over 2 years now. All the females grew up strong and loving and are a joy to have. Their only problem is they chase cats, kill them, then partially eat them! We don't have a cat problem from the neighbors anymore! HaHa! The male is the same with minor shakes. Learned that may be due to inbreeding. In all, we lost about half, but the ones that survive are just as caring and sweet as properly bred dogs. So not recommended, but accidents happen.:Policeman:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 9/30/2017 at 12:50 AM, Gary D said:

nbreeding is a big problem here in Suffolk, at least the weddings are cheap as you only have to invite one side of the family. Ok I'm bored sitting here in a airbnb in rainy Seatle.

So if you are married in Arkansas and divorced in California, are you still cousins? :89:

• Hmm thinking 1