Posted

Playboy founder Hugh Hefner dead at 91

Hugh Hefner died Wednesday at 91.

64978222.jpg

(Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)

NEW YORK

DAILY NEWS

Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 11:24 PM

Hugh Hefner, the founder of Playboy, died Wednesday.

He was 91.

The Chicago native was responsible for with Playboy magazine, known for its nude and semi-nude women within its folds.

The magazine, founded in 1953, featured iconic covers including Pamela Anderson, Anna Nicole Smith, Barbara Streisand, Marilyn Monroe Mariah Carey.

Celebrated writers including Normal Mailer, Jack Kerouac, Ray Bradbury and Kurt Vonnegut also wrote for the magazine.

"My father lived an exceptional and impactful life as a media and cultural pioneer and a leading voice behind some of the most significant social and cultural movements of our time in advocating free speech, civil rights and sexual freedom," son Cooper Hefner said in a statement.

"He defined a lifestyle and ethos that lie at the heart of the Playboy brand, one of the most recognizable and enduring in history."

The businessman was married to Mildred Williams from 1949 to 1959 and Kimberley Conrad from 1989 to 2010.

In 2012, he married Playboy model Crystal Harris, who he began dating in January 2009.

Hefner's Playboy Mansion, where he lived with dozens of young women, several of whom he dated over the years.

Hefner was also known for his charitable work, raising money for the Democratic Party and donating $900,000 to preserve the Hollywood Sign in 2010.

He’s survived by four children, Christie, David, Marston and Cooper, and wife Crystal.

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Hugh Hefner was a unique and colorful man, who was much deeper than the image that he often projected.  RIP Hugh

I always wished that I could have been invited to his groovy mansion! :smile: What a cool trip!

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I would always buy the magazine when I was younger, but only because the articles were so well written and interesting. :whistling:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • I'm Confused 1

Castaway
Posted
Posted

Playboy magazines opened up my eyes to a whole new world.

As a teenager, I really did enjoy the brilliant writing and the Ribald humor... I found them to be a welcome relief from the boring stuff that I had to read in High School.

Plus, like any other teenage boy, the photos were always enjoyable.

R.I.P. Hugh

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Castaway said:

the brilliant writing

Funny thing is, I enjoyed the writings in Penthouse forum and their joke section more than Playboy.  But Playboy came first and Hugh gets the credit for that.  It seems there is no fanfare for second place though.  I just Googled that Penthouse founder Bob Guccione died 20 October 2010, in Plano, Texas and I don't recall any fanfare for him.

Jake
Posted
Posted

OK guys, for the next couple of weeks we should pay our personal respect in this fashion:

Hugh Hefner.jpg No 12 o'clock position please.  

No problem with me.  I could barely get it up pass 3 o'clock.....he, haw.  

• Haha 3
  • I'm Confused 1