U.S. Marines Invade Subic

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I was killing time driving around with my two sleeping daughters in their car seats, while my wife did some pester free shopping.  Happened across these marines staging equipment right on the edge of the main tourist area, between the Lighthouse Hotel and the estuary of the Chit River.  I have never see any military activity in this area before.  I think all of that equipment was probably landed in Clark and trucked to Subic.  They were unloading the last truck when I first arrived.

I'm thinking about dropping by later tonight to see if they will have a campfire and make some Smores.

20170928_144509 (2).jpg   20170928_160112.jpg

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm thinking about dropping by later tonight to see if they will have a campfire and make some Smores.

20170928_144509 (2).jpg   20170928_160112.jpg

Why don't you Don?  The worse that could happen is getting shot by an 18 year old professional killer.  No, just kidding......approach any grunt, preferably a senior grunt and ask for a nickel's tour.  Invite them over to your place for a home cook meal.  Gives them an excellent opportunity to get away for awhile.  

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Don, as long as there are not any signs around saying stay away, I would be willing to bet my  your life, that you will find the young men there very friendly, surprised at your being there and full of questions about life here in the Philippines. Be warned, if they ask you to stay for supper, politely refuse, MRE's really, really suck. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, scott h said:

Don, as long as there are not any signs around saying stay away, I would be willing to bet my  your life, that you will find the young men there very friendly, surprised at your being there and full of questions about life here in the Philippines. Be warned, if they ask you to stay for supper, politely refuse, MRE's really, really suck. 

Well, the SM 3 day sale start today, so it looks like I will be cruising with the kids again this afternoon while my wife shops.  Maybe I will swing by again.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

, the SM 3 day sale

take a couple of bags of those sugared dry mangos with you, they will really appreciate it:thumbsup:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, scott h said:

as long as there are not any signs around saying stay away,

Drove by there again today, again with the sleeping kids.  Now they do have a "fence" up that gives a good buffer zone.  The fence is just poles with some white tape or plastic strung between them, but also there is a small guard shack that appeared to be manned by locals.  As I left a couple of SBMA cops were cruising in for a look see.  One was on a bicycle and I saw him yesterday as well, so I think they have a few officers deployed to keep people away.  Like the beach vendors.  Some of those are very aggressive and might take advantage of a marine who needs a brand new Rolex, for only p1000.  :smile:

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Drove by there again today, again with the sleeping kids.  Now they do have a "fence" up that gives a good buffer zone.  The fence is just poles with some white tape or plastic strung between them, but also there is a small guard shack that appeared to be manned by locals.  As I left a couple of SBMA cops were cruising in for a look see.  One was on a bicycle and I saw him yesterday as well, so I think they have a few officers deployed to keep people away.  Like the beach vendors.  Some of those are very aggressive and might take advantage of a marine who needs a brand new Rolex, for only p1000.  :smile:

As you may know Don, one good way to introduce yourself is to greet them at any of the Freeport stores on base.  Even the sports complex or one of many cafes and restaurants are good "ambush" sites.  

This pre-staging of Marines and equipment got my curiosity up.  I know it's a good exercise for logistics and coordination but for what?  Perhaps a battalion size preps for the upcoming typhoon season (for the locals) or is it to provide a larger "foot print" in the region, like NKorea or South China Sea?  

By the way, here is the chart for both US Navy USMC rank insignia.  Look for the USMC's top dog ("Master Guns" with 4 rockers) and tell them a former USN command master chief sent ya.  Good hunting and good luck!

US navy and marine ranks.jpg

• Like 1

Ram1957
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jake said:

As you may know Don, one good way to introduce yourself is to greet them at any of the Freeport stores on base.  Even the sports complex or one of many cafes and restaurants are good "ambush" sites.  

This pre-staging of Marines and equipment got my curiosity up.  I know it's a good exercise for logistics and coordination but for what?  Perhaps a battalion size preps for the upcoming typhoon season (for the locals) or is it to provide a larger "foot print" in the region, like NKorea or South China Sea?  

By the way, here is the chart for both US Navy USMC rank insignia.  Look for the USMC's top dog ("Master Guns" with 4 rockers) and tell them a former USN command master chief sent ya.  Good hunting and good luck!

US navy and marine ranks.jpg

It's for a joint anti-terrorism exercise,  that's why they are here. 

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2017/09/27/1743190/philippines-us-stage-mock-hijacking-counterterrorism-drill

Edited by Ram1957
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Just don't dress as a lady,  sometimes the Marines get upset.

They are not nice when they are upset.

They do flush though.

:571b119686cf7_1(72):

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 9/30/2017 at 2:00 AM, Jake said:

As you may know Don, one good way to introduce yourself is to greet them at any of the Freeport stores on base

In this case, it appears these guys do not have any leave (yet) and they are working.  We have not seen them around town.  There are U.S. support ships docked and I have seen a few sailors around, but no marines.  One of the ships has been there a few weeks to it must be getting a repair.

Swung by today and they were on the move.  It appeared that they were getting ready to get wet but we had to leave.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GBAhZJXnSLYxSlMz1

There was another ship docked today that I had not seen, and I was surprised to see that it was Philippine Navy.  Read the Wiki.  Almost brand new already 2 collisions! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRP_Tarlac_(LD-601)

• Like 1