Filipino family members happily living with Expats?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Over the years Expat members have mentioned in passing instances of their Filipino extended family members living with them.

Any one who ignored the 3 island 🌴 rule and have extended family living with you care to share? 📬

Follow up question; those living outside Philippines anyone with family? My Mother in law will likely move here in the future.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

The only problem I see if we had a family member living with us would be "personal time".

Apart from that her family would  and are welcome here.

• Like 4

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I broke the rule but have in laws that make it not an issue. I might get asked to borrow money for an 'emergency fix' of something that broke once a year but am repaid within a month.

Our youngest sister lives with us, she helps with cleaning, some cooking, and laundry, is very respectful and quiet. I am happy to have her here. We have a 3 bedroom house with 2 CRs so she has her own bedroom and CR (we have enough space privacy for her and us is not an issue), I include her favorite foods in shopping a couple times a week (or more), she is in high school so I provide school supplies and uniforms, and we are a 10 minute walk from school instead of an hour trip walking and finding a ride down the mountain. Having her here is convenient for all of us.

You also said Mamma will likely move with you 'here', where is 'here'? Your status says location 'State of confusion', is that California? LOL When we move to the US I doubt anyone will come with us. The plan is to be there for 5 years (so my wife can get citizenship and qualify for my social security benefits) and return. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I would not live with her siblings, I rarely even visit the province anymore. It is just too damn loud.  Her parents are both dead.

We live on a family compound, near Iloilo. Aunt, Uncle, and a few cousins.  We have a separate house, though.  That really helps on privacy. I like it but sometimes my wife complains about the drama.  I get tagay, she gets drama.  I think you get what you look for ha ha.

I knew them for over 2 years before we decided to build the house.  Some of her family I could live with... some I could not. :tiphat:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

We live outside Seattle in a small town. My wife's youngest sister lives in Seattle is an RN working there the idea is Mamma will live with her as they have a newborn baby girl. They are also very well to do so can provide health insurance and other things that would otherwise put a strain on us as I will be retiring soon and will have boys in college soon.

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Recently I have invited 4 family members, all female, 2 adults 2 children, to live with us temporarily as their house is derelict. The adults both work and contribute to the household expenses/chores.This helps them when in need which is always a good thing. To be honest it is quite nice having them here as they are good people and fun to be around. 

• Like 5

Castaway
Posted
Posted

"Filipino family members happily living with Expats?"

In my case, I have my SO's mother, father, sister (and her common-law hubby) living with me... but are they all happy?  Honestly, NO... but they stay with me anyway because their alternatives are bleak.

What about my happiness?

If my SO is happy, I'm happy.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I am afraid that is a big no no for me.  I am happy for her family to visit for a night or two but that would be it.  

I enjoy my privacy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, mogo51 said:

I am afraid that is a big no no for me.  I am happy for her family to visit for a night or two but that would be it.  

I enjoy my privacy.

Can relate to that Kev, even our maid clattering in the sink when I watching TV is a slight annoyance. Give me peace comes to mind.

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

My MIL has lived with us since the beginning. We rented a double house in a regular (unguarded) development while we built and now she lives here. She does most of the cooking and mending and some dishwashing and laundry. She feeds the pig and our dog and used to feed the other animals we had. We give her a stipend and otherwise take care of her needs.

My SIL lives with us as well. She replaced the helper we had when the helper flaked out and left us. She cleans, tends to the dog, and does the laundry and dishes. She is paid for her work. She has some kind of personality disorder and won't speak to or look at me. That's disconcerting.

I don't mind them being here although sometimes I feel like I don't exist/am not part of the family because of the language barrier and they get their heads together and gab, gab, gab.

Another SIL lives across town and often brings her 14-yr. old and 5-yr. old daughters (my nieces) over for visits. My FIL lives with her (MIL and FIL are estranged). He's had a stroke and only visits occasionally.

When everybody is over, I head for the bedroom as I can't take the noise coming through my hearing aid.

Having the MIL and SIL here doesn't bother me too much, usually.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1