Filipino parents, how does your significant other treat them?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

My wife loves Mamma very much and truly cares for her.

I've noticed when we visit Cebu or Mamma visits us my wife will treat her like a domestic household helper at times. Other times she dotes on her. Kinda strange. 

How do your significant other treat their Mother?

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Old55 said:

My wife loves Mamma very much and truly cares for her.

I've noticed when we visit Cebu or Mamma visits us my wife will treat her like a domestic household helper at times. Other times she dotes on her. Kinda strange. 

Unfortunately, it's not uncommon to see this "culture" of behavior.  Many homes have multiple generations living under one roof.  If they have a niece or nephew or a distant cousin living there also, many times they are also regulated down to domestic chores and babysitting.  

It is.....what it is.  

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Emma's mother past long before i came onto the scene, but how she treats here father is wonderful in my eyes .

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Spoiled springs to mind, actually she treats her very well we don`t see her very often as we live on another Island.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

When Mamma comes to visit she is always treated as a 'Filipino guest', meaning coffee and some kind of snack or meal. Lots of chatting (no idea what about, I really need to figure out a way to shove more Visayan in my head). Usually leaves with whatever leftovers we had plus miscellaneous other food supplies. Always food only, never cash or anything else. They live on a farm 6 km further up the mountain from us in Valencia, even though they are close and come to town often, family members are only here once a week or so. I won the coin flip for inlaws and they are welcome here anytime.

We also have our youngest sister living with us. She is 16 and going to school, very respectful and helps with some cooking, cleaning and laundry. Convenient for us and her as she has her own room, I buy school supplies and uniforms, and she is a 10 minute walk from school instead of an hour+ trip each way (which is especially miserable, if not impossible on rainy days).

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

We joke and warn others about the issues family can cause it's nice to know others have loving family. I think the horror stories stand out and the good family get less attention. 

When Mamma has to return back to Cebu after staying with us here in the States I am truly sorry to see her go.

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

My mother-in-law has been dead for about four years now.  My husband treated her well, but sometimes disagreed with her as she was quite stubborn at times. 

In the past my sister-in law seemed to focus exclusively on her mother, ignoring all other family members during yearly visits for the most part. They were a lot alike in many ways.  Now that both of her parents are gone, and given that she lives in the States, she has very little contact/interest in her remaining family members.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Old55 said:

We joke and warn others about the issues family can cause it's nice to know others have loving family. I think the horror stories stand out and the good family get less attention. 

When Mamma has to return back to Cebu after staying with us here in the States I am truly sorry to see her go.

Old55,

My father-in-law (the popular star of the family) came to New Jersey once because my sister-in-law had just had her son, and felt that her mother would make a great babysitter. Momma had no interest in traveling, but Papa  wanted to try.  He lasted only a few months though, as he hated the winter weather, and felt lonely and isolated there. He missed his many friends and drinking buddies back in Cebu.

During that time, at the end of the summer he had visited us in Rhode Island for a short vacation, and we were sad to see him go too.  He was a character.:smile:

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 5

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Yup, human nature I guess to speak up often and loudly about problems while hardly commenting at all about the good things.

• Like 1

Castaway
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Old55 said:

Always with the deepest respect (of course)...

but my SO's mother (who lives with us) has become our family's cook, maid and our yaya (nanny) for our youngest child.

Edited by Castaway
  • Thanks 1