North Korea: should Filipinos be nervous? If yes, why?

Castaway
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, scott h said:

If NK goes nuke,

That's a big 'if' - why does it have to go nuclear? There could still be a conventional war since the war has never officially ended.

• Like 1

Lou49
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, scott h said:

It is really about the tactical situation. If NK goes nuke, they only have so many weapons to deploy. 1st target will be the SK, civil and military targets. Next would be supporting facilities, such as Kadena air base in Okinawa, US naval facilities in Japan like Yokohama. If they have any extra then Guam. If they consider any non military targets or other nations I would say Malaysia would have priority over the Philippines, after all his brother was killed there, and they threw out the NK diplomats. NK is all about pride and appearance. I sleep just fine at night :thumbsup:

After the first launch against S.Korea orJapan, NK would be a smokin' hole in the ground and they know it. NK would prefer to exist than not exist therefore it won't happen.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Castaway said:

That's a big 'if' - why does it have to go nuclear? There could still be a conventional war since the war has never officially ended.

They could not win a conventional conflict and neither would they win a nuclear confrontation, but you are assuming that you are dealing with a 'logical' leader of Nth Korea and that is where the analysis falls down dramatically.

So far as nuclear fall out not affecting Philippines, I hope that is correct, but as I understand it, it depends on the direction the prevailing winds takes it?

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Castaway said:

conventional

If it goes conventional, it will be confined to the penisuala. NK has a lot of subs but they would be sitting ducks to Jakes buddies in the USN. Granted Souel would take a HUGE pounding, so would Taegu and Pohang most like. But with the exception of the OFW in Korea, the Philippines wouldn't be in the line of fire. 

Edited by scott h
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

Many reporters would be more correctly called plagiarizers since they copy paste other stories without doing any research or fact checking of their own

I think if you read the article, the reporter did as thorough a fact check as is humanly possible, but that's just my interpretation.

• Like 1

Castaway
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Queenie O. said:

I can only imagine that those that had be polled and voted favorably about North Korea, had been mistakenly focusing on the popular South Korean dramas and K-Pop stars.

Queenie, that's probably what happened since I find it very hard to see how anybody (outside of North Korea) can think of North Korea in any type of positive way.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Castaway said:

I find it very hard to see how anybody (outside of North Korea) can think of North Korea in any type of positive way.

I would have thought so too until reading this article:

Russia just gave North Korea's internet a big boost

It seems that China is coming on board with the US and other countries to put the pressure of sanctions on North Korea and Russia stepped up and decided this was a way to sit back and encourage North Korea to take on both China and the US and guess who wins? Here is another link from that article that sums it up;

Russia's power play in North Korea aimed at both China and US

• Like 3

Castaway
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It seems that China is coming on board with the US and other countries to put the pressure of sanctions on North Korea and Russia stepped up and decided this was a way to sit back and encourage North Korea to take on both China and the US and guess who wins?

I guess that it's true:  Putin is a genius

"It’s simple: while the world is playing checkers, Putin is playing chess. He seized Crimea from the Ukrainians with barely a shot fired; he got back Yalta, the favoured beach resort of Chekhov and the tsars, and all he faced as punishment were some minor sanctions. He intervened on behalf of the Assad regime in Syria, after the US, Turkey and the Saudis spent years supporting the rebels, and in short order turned the tide of the war. He has been instrumental in undermining the pro-EU consensus, financing the Eurosceptic right – and, where convenient, the Eurosceptic left – aiming apparently to dismantle the postwar international order and replace it with a series of bilateral transactional relationships in which Russia can, for the most part, be the senior partner."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/22/vladimir-putin-killer-genius-kleptocrat-spy-myths

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted

NK has to get the Nuc's of the ground yet, before they do, the last hoorah will be over for them, think about it. 

• Like 2