Itchy Feet Time

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Having traveled around a little bit and stayed in a few different locations I'm looking to move again and as such I'm putting the feelers out for a new location.

I'm currently living in Sabang, Oriental Mindoro which ticks a lot of my boxes. It's a great location with everything that I like in a place to live. Mountains, beaches, swimming pool, gym and a great bunch of ex pats. 

The downside is it must have one of the most dis-organised public bodies in the whole of the Philippines. The roads are horrendous going to the next town, brown outs and power fluctuations are a daily occurrence and at a guess most of the women are either bar girls or ex bar girls. Charges for a one bed apartment is a minimum 16,000 peso per month.

I'm looking for ideas of a similar type of location without too many of the negatives especially the women. In short somewhere with a swimming pool, local gym and if I want to go for a walk there's a nice circuit along a beach and maybe up a hill. I'm not a bar hopper but it would be nice to hang out with some ex pats now and again.

Answers on the back of a 1,000 peso note please. :whistling: 

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Try Kilmarnock, I hear it's pretty good

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • I'm Confused 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Try Kilmarnock, I hear it's pretty good

I think I'd be doing a Duterte on the natives if I moved back there. :571b119686cf7_1(72):

• Thanks 1

Soldier of opportunity
Posted
Posted

I’ll be following this post very closely @Snowy79 👌. Your requirements are very similar to mine and seem simplistic in request but that’s from a non expat still living in glasgow ha

Im coming over in November to do a recce of several places so will keep you posted of my findings then but im sure you will know more living there.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Shaun Paul Porter said:

Im coming over in November to do a recce of several places so will keep you posted of my findings then but im sure you will know more living there.

OH Yes! so many times, we call it Boots on the Ground :smile: the best way to learn as many, Do not listen to advice given  Then come with a Sob Stories , Shaun, do what you want/have to and please do not be a Statistic. you are still so very Young :wink:   

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Shaun Paul Porter said:

Give me a shout if you're near and I'll take you out and corrupt you. :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

Snowy, have you looked at North Western Luzon? Agoo through to Candon? Or further afield? Palawan is a great place to travel to as a tourist both north and south and I see it would be a great place to live but personally I would not choose to live there as I have a counterpart to consider with family and if a single man the world would/could be my oyster, only my choice, I see that big time. Others would definitely not choose to live in Bacnotan where we picked. Change of scenery? Running away or simply time to move on, PH. has so much to offer and an experienced man such as your self rightly asks opinions from others and wholeheartedly researches perhaps looking for Nirvana? For me/us we struck a happy medium with Bacnotan. If single I would stay in Manila, Cebu, Davao etc to hook up but for a quieter life away from the rabble and trash of a big city, the Philippines is a personal choice and while we contribute on this forum the choice appears to be simple. What are you looking for.

"The downside is it must have one of the most dis-organised public bodies in the whole of the Philippines. The roads are horrendous going to the next town, brown outs and power fluctuations are a daily occurrence and at a guess most of the women are either bar girls or ex bar girls. Charges for a one bed apartment is a minimum 16,000 peso per month."

Disorganised yes, fortunately it works no matter the location and is accepted by the locals. (We are guests) PHP 16K P/m will get you a one bed apartment on the beach with no swimming pool, gym or sauna in San Juan, move north or south with cheaper rent and still no amenities. Where are you thinking Snowy? Others will throw their hat in.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, bigpearl said:

Disorganised yes, fortunately it works no matter the location and is accepted by the locals. (We are guests) PHP 16K P/m will get you a one bed apartment on the beach with no swimming pool, gym or sauna in San Juan, move north or south with cheaper rent and still no amenities. Where are you thinking Snowy? Others will throw their hat in.

Cheers, Steve.

I'm pretty much open to ideas. No where flat, no city and ideally where the majority of the bars aren't full of bar girls.

Sabang if the main business wasn't bar girls would be fine but I know if I was to ever try and settle here with a decent girl her jealousy would go into overdrive. It's understandable as there's about 20 women to one guy and they're not shy a throwing themselves at you.

Palawan does have a look in. I've been there a few times but short of Puerto Princessa and El Nido most of the towns are like province towns. Once the sun goes down the Karaoke comes out and the cockerels grab a quick 6 hrs sleep so they've plenty of energy for crowing at 5am.

I've got back into the swimming so a nice pool would be a bonus and if there's anywhere that has a road going up a mountain in a loop that would be a big bonus. A gym would be great but I could survive without that. Decent bars with a few friendly ex pats and live music would also be beneficial.

Weather wise Sabang has also been good to me. Even throughout the wet season it rarely rains all day. Preferring to drop it's rain in the evening. I'd hate to be stuck indoors for weeks on end looking out at clouds.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Iloilo? It's one of the more efficient places here - everything is relative though!

It's maybe a tad sleepy and lacking a lively ex-pat community but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2