Window security

stevewool
Posted
Posted

We all would like to feel safe in our own homes and we do all we ca to feel that way too.

After a phone call from Emma to her sister in the Philippines its come to our knowledge that she feels unsafe when staying over in our house that we had built.

We new she would stay over on the odd night to save her traveling back to Cavite after a long days work, plus she could leave later the next day too get to work rather then the hours of sitting on a bus, or now in her car.

We have no window security on the downstairs windows yes we have locks on them but i am sure if someone wanted too, they could lift them out and get into the house.

So what is the best way of doing this, get a local chap around to make these or can you buy these of the shelf sort of, or better still as Emma will be there very soon , get her and her dad to travel around on that new motorbike to get some quotes from the local folk.

By the way you can imagine what my answer was to the sister who is afraid to stay in the house because we dont have these fitted, but still does stay, DONT STAY THEN.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Is she asking that bars be installed Steve?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

We have no window security on the downstairs windows

:Caught:

200 million Filipinos cant be wrong! With the exception of some higher end Sub division EVERYONE has bars on their windows. Especially on the first floor. IMO the easiest way to get them installed is just go to the nearest mom/pop construction supply place and ask them to refer a welder to you. 

SAFETY NOTE. Insure that at least one window has a hinged door with lock on the grate as an escape route in case of fire. Just this week a mom and her child died in a house fire, they could not get out of the 2nd story window.

Its all about prevention Steve.:thumbsup:

• Like 5

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The sister has a valid point. A window lock is nothing, at an absolute minimum you need steel bars on ground floor windows. Walk around the area and see how many decent houses DON'T have them. 

• Like 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

An interesting topic Steve, one which has been mentioned before I am sure many times and interests me also. From my observations and I am only a newbie it seems that it depends on where you are and comfort zones. Our house on the beach has barred windows but many other houses do not, a quiet area 4 Kms to the town of Bacnotan with what appears to be mostly expats in the area.

When we move there in under 2 years we will extend on the front of the house, ocean side with lots of glass floor to ceiling and don't want bars or security grills blocking the view. A problem for security at night and when we are away. My thoughts were wide remote controlled (garage) roller doors that are hidden within the roof space when up, when in place are a deterrent and probably good when a typhoon is imminent. (tsunami no hope, lol). Expensive we are sure and to date have not located a supplier in the San Fernando City area that can supply/instal 6 metre wide units nor can advise the vulnerability in security/typhoon situations. Costs to supply and install 4 of these beasts based on Aussie prices could be as high as AU $ 16,000.00, then there are 2 smaller units at about 5K so 21K. So many thoughts on these issues, Bengie wants 1.8 to 2.4 metre concrete and block fences on 3 boundaries, what for I ask "to keep people out he replies" doh, Bengie, that's why god made ladders and on the ocean side? No fence?

I think I could save dollars by simply building a safe room (master bedroom) and let the house be robbed as long as we are safe while sleeping. No matter our simple security arrangements if an undesirable is bent on robbing you they will succeed.

I am open to education by others and their particular circumstances, all advice appreciated by all I am sure.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Yeah, bars are everywhere on buildings in the PI, but somewhere I remember reading they have to conform to a code where they can be removed from the inside in case of a fire. Before installing any bars, I would prepare a meal and invite the local fire chief over and pick his brains as to the best way around the problem. The cost of a meal against a code violation would be cheaper, plus your not sounding like a know all foreigner, but one that is willing to ask for advise and you could be gaining a friend, just a thought. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I'm on the 22nd floor. Never felt the need for bars on the window. :whistling:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Castaway
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, stevewool said:

By the way you can imagine what my answer was to the sister who is afraid to stay in the house because we dont have these fitted, but still does stay, DONT STAY THEN.

giphy.gif

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Bars on the window are popular here, but you would be surprised how many of them have the same flaw as the house where I lived, that was robbed.

A kid with a skinny arm can get it through the bars and turn the door knob from the inside.  I took a look "after the fact" and could not see how he could reach the door knob, then I tried various means and found I could stick my arm through the window, along with a toilet plunger, and turn the handle using the plunger as an "arm extension".  Easy Peasy.  So the window bars are a false sense of security as this is only one of many ways that criminals get around them.  Another one is the pole with a hook to reach between the bars and grab anything within a few meters of the window, such as the door keys lying on the side table.

Better to get a guard to watch the place if it is in a high risk area.  I have lived in low crime areas, in Philippines and did not even need a gate, wall, lock, or bars.  It all depends where you live and who your neighbors are and how you treat them.

• Like 4