Window security

stevewool
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Old55 said:

Is she asking that bars be installed Steve?

To tell the truth, the father and brother live in the house and they had done things to improve the place since we saw it the last time, they have put turf down and made the gates wider , put some sort of canopies on the windows and so on, to me if they felt it was not secure then fixing  some sort of bars to the windows would be the first thing to do.

But it will be done once Emma get there.

The problem is always there is no message like how are you and what have you been doing its all about money and who is going to pay for these things, yes security is very important for the family and we shall be talking and sorting it out with the father and us, and know one else in the family.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, MikeB said:

The sister has a valid point. A window lock is nothing, at an absolute minimum you need steel bars on ground floor windows. Walk around the area and see how many decent houses DON'T have them. 

The sister has a point, but like most family members let someone else pay for the stuff, if she feels unsafe in the family home she was brought up in under a tin roof and tin walls , again it will be sorted sooner then later.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Clermont said:

Yeah, bars are everywhere on buildings in the PI, but somewhere I remember reading they have to conform to a code where they can be removed from the inside in case of a fire. Before installing any bars, I would prepare a meal and invite the local fire chief over and pick his brains as to the best way around the problem. The cost of a meal against a code violation would be cheaper, plus your not sounding like a know all foreigner, but one that is willing to ask for advise and you could be gaining a friend, just a thought. :thumbsup:

I mentioned to Emma about having a removable bar fitted to the inside, but i was told that would look horrible so that went out of the window, there is a upstairs to escape to and to get out that way if needed.

A local chap with a welder is what is wanted and very good WIFI that day so i can be there not in person but by face time trying to get my plan and ideas across, and woe betied if i get the voice saying " the signal is bad my Steve i am losing you":571c66d400c8c_1(103):

stevewool
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Better to get a guard to watch the place if it is in a high risk area.  I have lived in low crime areas, in Philippines and did not even need a gate, wall, lock, or bars.  It all depends where you live and who your neighbors are and how you treat them.

The family and the neighbors have know each other many many years so that may be a good thing and the father does not think bars are needed, sometimes if there is nothing to take then why make the house look like there is inside.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, scott h said:

Yeah, but they will keep the fat kids out :hystery:

So the food in the fridge will be safe then.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I agree Stevewood with Ema but have you heard of dead lock windows on inward swinging hinges and deadlock doors, their the in thing nowadays, one key fits all, just remember to get spares and use a dead bolt as well for the doors of a night.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Clermont said:

I agree Stevewood with Ema but have you heard of dead lock windows on inward swinging hinges and deadlock doors,

All very Good But have you noticed how easy it is to Cut the Glass here, it is nowhere near the strength of Glass we know

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Don't get too cocky, have you watched them up on them skyscrapers, bloody good climbers.:whistling:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, Clermont said:

Don't get too cocky, have you watched them up on them skyscrapers, bloody good climbers.:whistling:

Let's face it if they (The naughties) want in they WILL get in

• Like 5

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Yeah Jack I was talking about inward swinging bars in a frame with a dead lock. :thumbsup:

• Like 1