Window security

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Clermont said:

Yeah Jack I was talking about inward swinging bars in a frame with a dead lock. :thumbsup:

That is what we have, you would need the have Steel into the brick (where the dead bolts will go though) as attached to the Flimsy Window frame won't work

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little
  • Like 1

jrlee183
Posted
Posted

Just asked my friend (HSE consultant in Manila, and ex UK fire fighter) about this and the obvious fire safety risk.  There is no easy solution, but his suggestion would be to have some bars on hinges which can be padlocked or some sort of window frame that doest the same thing.  Not as effective as welded or built into the brickwork but at least you can get out in the event of a fire.   Would also be worth investing in a fire extinguisher or two.

Someone mentioned about getting the local fire chief round for his opinion. That's a sensible idea, but some (certainly not all) fire chiefs/fire fighters are incredibly poorly versed in fire safety law.  My same friend went to the local fire station to say hi and introduce himself.  Whilst there he witnessed the firemen hosing down their fire retardant suits/equipment and then hanging to dry outside. He then asked them if they had spares.  They replied 'no sir' to which he then asked if they were going home.  Again, 'no sir.  He then pointed out that if they had to go and extinguish a big fire from inside the burning building they would essentially be cooked alive in steam from the trapped water if the suits weren't dry yet. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, jrlee183 said:

That's a sensible idea, but some (certainly not all) fire chiefs/fire fighters are incredibly poorly versed in fire safety law. 

When it comes to the Fire Brigade her in Dumaguete  I have NO faith at all, some years ago and it is not that many the Building Right next door to the Fire Station caught Fire, They did not respond to the Alarms and thought it was a Drill? but no one Moved, The building was the Medical Centre and Old, it did not take long to burn down  Scratching Head.jpg

• Sad 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

You could have the bars on pins through the wall so you could release them and push them out in an emergency. Getting a local welder to comprehend may be a problem. You could supply comprehensive drawing which could be completely ignored and bars made as they have always done.:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

In my subdivision, some people have had their windows replaced with normal casement windows that have built in metal bars.  They open and close like normal windows but you cannot break the glass and come through the window as there are metal bars in the way.  I don't know what stops people from just removing the entire window but they must have a feature for that or there would be no point.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

In my subdivision, some people have had their windows replaced with normal casement windows that have built in metal bars.  They open and close like normal windows but you cannot break the glass and come through the window as there are metal bars in the way.  I don't know what stops people from just removing the entire window but they must have a feature for that or there would be no point.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

The old house that got knocked down had these sort of windows, the new house has dark metal flimsy Windows with dark glass and some sort of mosi net fixed into the frame.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Dog or better yet Dogs?

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Old55 said:

Dog or better yet Dogs?

Hot dogs springs to mind yum yum

• Haha 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

We have a high Bagakay fence and dogs. Good relations with the local neighbourhood including police and prison officers living near to us. I refuse to have my house like a prison, I certainly don't feel intimidated to live in one, if I did I wouldn't be here. In fact the only place I see bars on the windows here are in subdivisions, where most burglary crime gets committed.

• Like 2