Has anyone ventured into owning a business or working in phil? Is it possible? What are the implications?

Soldier of opportunity
Posted
Posted

Further to suggestions that 35 would be too early to retire in Philippines in regards to the boredom regard.

Are there any opportunities, small business wise or charity outlays that may be viable to counteract this?

TIA

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Many people have tried many different things, from working in tourist resorts to online stuff to working in call centers and many other things.  No one that I know is getting rich but a few get by.  Figure out what you strong points are and give it a shot.  Don't expect to make a small fortune unless you start with a large fortune but you can supplement your income.  Heck, even raising pigs or goats in the bukid is working for some folk.  

If you are married to a filipina you do not need a permit to work.  If you work in some of the jobs I mentioned you can easily get a work permit.  Other things like Internet work is a grey area that could go either way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • I'm Confused 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If you are married to a filipina you do not need a permit to work. 

Depends on his Visa status !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I think this topic has been covered before, from my understanding you have to get a work permit whether married to a PI or not even for menial tasks like having an input on the construction of your house. Could be wrong. :89:

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I do online teaching. As mentioned above, it doesn't make me rich - supplements my income but wouldn't pay the bills alone. As I had my ACER, 13A visa, TIN from BIR and bank account here it wasn't a problem administration wise. BIR stuff was problematic but only because of the drip-feed communication style they love here. 

I'd imagine there are easier ways to make the same as I do.

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Clermont said:

I think this topic has been covered before, from my understanding you have to get a work permit whether married to a PI or not

Fortunately, The Department of Labor and Employment spells it out exactly in this link <- yes its a link you can click on

Read section 2f

• Thanks 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I read the link and as long as it is a PI based company a foreigner is exempt as long as he holds the correct visa. Is that link still current, it's dated 2015, thanks Dave. Section 15 of that link makes a bloke be a bit more careful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Read section 2f

Yes my point, 13a holders are exempt. That's why I said depends on his visa status. 

• Thanks 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Clermont said:

I read the link and as long as it is a PI based company a foreigner is exempt as long as he holds the correct visa.

1 minute ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes my point, 13a holders are exempt. That's why I said depends on his visa status. 

Agreed but we need to Remember we can only work there, we can still only Hold 40% if it is a Startup by you and registered in the PI

I mention this only because part of the OP's Topic Header was owning a Business

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Soldier of opportunity
Posted
Posted

Thanks Guys, 

Highlights a few stumbling blocks for me then. 

The easiest way seems to be the 13A way but that isn’t possible with my gf being married still and waiting for the government to pass the divorce bill hopefully before my plans in 3 years come into fruition. 

I was hoping she could of started a business and me just help out to keep busy but I’ll have to go back to the simple retirement thoughts and look at online work to keep my mind stimulated.

thanks again 

shaun