Tom Petty

marine6357
Posted
Posted

Sorry now they are saying he did not die. Guess another case of the media jumping the gun.

• Like 1
  • I'm Confused 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Maybe they got mixed up with the folk pioneer Tom Paley who has died. He taught Ry Cooder and Jerry Garcia amongst other achievements. RIP to this Tom.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Praying for a full recovery but it probably depends on how long he was stricken before being found.

Always a favorite of mine.  Low key, non-pretentious, down to earth guy who could please almost everyone.  I saw one of his concerts in L.A. in the mid-70's.

He just finished his final tour literally 10 days ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/10/02/tom-petty-on-life-support-after-cardiac-arrest-according-to-reports/?utm_term=.24449b57d022

• Like 3

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Tom Petty is one of the good ones. Brilliant guy and a regular guy at the same time. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Looks like he didn't make it.  RIP Tom Petty.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41475013

• Sad 1

canadamale
Posted
Posted (edited)

Another one gone [ as in musical giants] 66 is a young age nowadays. Heart attack I read. I finished reading Tom,s  autobiography recently. Tom and his band the Heartbreakers played backup for Johnny Cash on one of the albums Rick Rubin produced on the American Recordings label. Lots of their music [ the Heartbreakers] could be called country even tho they were know as a rock band. Makes myself think about my own mortality, turned 60 this year.  https://youtu.be/v_oUHA0EzSs

Edited by canadamale
canged age to 66
  • Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted (edited)

I always thought that Petty understood me. Crazy, isn't it? I also felt that his sound, his music, evoked the hope of another, better place.

RIP, Tom Petty.

Edited by JDDavao
  • Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

So he has succumbed, very sad to lose two musical Toms in the same day. RIP

MikeB
Posted
Posted

He hosted a show on his own SiriusXM radio station (channel #31) called “Buried Treasure”, I think it was an hour long, maybe 2. Really like the music, older stuff I’ve heard and a lot from famous artists like Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, Johnny Winter, etc that I hadn’t. Talked and told funny stories, never played his own music.

Smoked cigarettes all his life; from what I read, never did quit. Too damn young to die.