Right to bear arms.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

What kind of training can you give to a firearm so it can pass a licensing test?

Actually, this is not my saying it was Steve's so sorry for thatembarrased  man.jpg

1 hour ago, AlwaysRt said:

Maybe you missed what I was saying.

No Steve I see you trying to be funny in a Non Funny Situation then trying to put your Foo Pah right by explaining things many of us are just not going to agree with as it is put Sorry but this is where it all gets so Silly and we know where it will end up waste bin.jpg or :wave: to the Topic

BTW Bad mood and attitude.jpg

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Maybe one day governments can crack down on weapon manufacturers like they do with car manufacturers. They can pass laws making them spend millions sorting out emissions so maybe they can force the weapon manufacturers implement finger print recognition. With GPS tracking they could identify the gun man in seconds and if someone goes to buy a weapon if their fingerprints show up on a data base then they don't get the weapon. 

Bring in an amnesty to hand over conventional weapons and compensate the owners. The weapons can be offloaded to our so called friendly forces overseas. It won't rid all of the weapons but it'll get rid of a lot. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Guys & Gals, my closing comments on this are that the Gun Controls around the World are just not working and until they are, Atrocities are going to continue. I Firmly believe that Snowies last Post makes a Lot of Sense & I hope Authorities all over World realise that this could happen if they genuinely want to stop Incidents like of late Happening But :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Thank you and a good Afternoon to you all, me, Lunch then nap :Count_Sheep:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

The loss of one innocent life is awful and unacceptable. Is the real problem guns and gun owners? Let's do the math.

Here's a bit of math and a chart to show what is going on.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2017/oct/02/america-mass-shootings-gun-violence

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Lou49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Trucks kill people. we should ban trucks :

On the evening of 14 July 2016, a 19 tonne cargo truck was deliberately driven into crowds of people celebrating Bastille Day on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice, France, resulting in the deaths of 86 people[2] and the injury of 458 others.[4] The driver was Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, a Tunisian resident of France.[5][6] The attack ended following an exchange of gunfire, during which Lahouaiej-Bouhlel was shot and killed by police.

As long as there are crazy people these heinous acts will continue. There is no predicting or stopping all of them.

Edited by Lou49
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

There seems to be a lot of "mass shooting" definitions out there.  The stats in your link are for 4 or more injured.  Generally speaking, the accepted standard is 4 or more killed but Obama and U.S. Congress changed it to 3 killed.  For historical purposes, most use 4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_shooting

Still interesting to look at the "injured" view.  What jumps out at me are the cities.  Many are poor areas which leads me to think those are gang and drug related.

My mind separates mass shootings into a few groups.

1.  Totally insane person looking to kill as many as possible (like Vegas, probably)

2.  Terrorism.  Killing with a political goal.

3.  Gangs and drugs.  I think the majority of that "injury" based list would fall into this category.

4.  Domestic violence. 

As for the killers, I think they are all insane, some temporary, some permanent.  (I don't mean to insinuate that they should get off due to insanity).  Temporary insanity might be in the form of say a husband who finds out his wife is cheating and kills his whole family, etc.  Permanent might be appear to be normal on the outside but a ticking time bomb on the inside, like Vegas.

I'm not a gun owner or advocate, but logic tells me that someone who wants to kill a lot of people is going to find tools to do it.  Guns can be obtained illegally and / or modified illegally.  Adding more gun laws will not change that.  Criminals will always find a way just like they do with drugs.  And the Vegas guy had explosives he might have used if the guns didn't work out.

As Lou said, terrorists will adapt methods, and without any morals to guide them, soft targets will be the wave of the future.  Same for the lone wolf crazy person that the Vegas guy might be. 

I think there are some deep societal issues behind the rise in mental illness and the related rise in shootings, but I am not going to go there now.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Lou49 said:

Trucks kill people. we should ban trucks

You may have noticed that you cannot take your truck off your own private property without registering the truck, having insurance on the truck, and having a license to operate that truck.  So if you want to treat firearms like trucks, that will work fine.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You may have noticed that you cannot take your truck off your own private property without registering the truck, having insurance on the truck, and having a license to operate that truck.  So if you want to treat firearms like trucks, that will work fine.

You can steal a truck or a gun.  You can rent trucks.  Even easier.

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

You can steal a truck or a gun.  You can rent trucks.  Even easier.

I imagine there are shooting ranges where you can rent guns.  I don't get your point.

I will say this, for those who want to continue to defend the rights of gun owners, how about an insurance plan, funded by gun owners, for all victims of illegal gun shootings?

The Canadian victim that I know of, from the Las Vegas shooting, has a family who have started a Go Fund Me type campaign to help her 4 kids get through the next phase of their life without their mother.  Any gun owners wanna put money where . .  well not to suggest that anyone should actually back up their beliefs with more than words but contact me if you want the link.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

• Haha 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic