We opened a small restaurant a month ago(40 seats) in a small town, population of 80k people. Going well so far. Not sure what Siargao is like but all the restos here suck lol.

We got lucky with a good location, was a coffee shop who moved so we only pay 15k rent per month, most other places we enquired were charging around 20k and not in such a good area.
Cost 300k to open all in. Sold 200k pesos this month with net profit of around 50k, haven't advertised atall yet as have just been making sure everything runs smoothly, marketing is my main job so confident we can make 100k pesos or so per month on auto pilot.

Restos being out of stock is genuinely because the managers are planks. I disagree with people saying its harder to start a business here, people here just generally aren't as intelligent and they don't have the funds to start businesses which makes it easier. Also much lower cost so lower risk, would cost me about 3 million pesos to open a similar type of resto in the UK.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

I disagree with people saying its harder to start a business here

I don't think anyone has said its harder to start a business here.  Many have started one, and have mentioned it on this very forum.  I remember making a comment that:

On 10/5/2017 at 7:31 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

a year or so later we never see any updates.   I wonder why that is?

So feel free to make some comments after you have been doing it for at least a year, preferably two.  That kind of insight would be invaluable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I don't think anyone has said its harder to start a business here.  Many have started one, and have mentioned it on this very forum.  I remember making a comment that:

So feel free to make some comments after you have been doing it for at least a year, preferably two.  That kind of insight would be invaluable.

Well your comment insinuated that they didn't go well lol and there was a comment with:
"Starting a restaurant business is tough enough to do even in the US - the Philippines will be even harder. "

Just my opinion that its much easier here. But no worries, will do. I've read a lot of comments on other threads with people thinking that the locals will get annoyed with it too. I've not experienced any issues so far, most seem happy that I'm bringing money to their small town.
Started an ice cube business 4-5 months ago too, something like that its easier to get started with than a resto.

• Like 1

All

A year on and our restaurant and Frappe Stall in Robinson's Mall are doing well. We are both overseas currently so our labor cost is higher than when my wife will return full time next year. We also opened our first Water Station last month and this is doing well.

What I have noticed is if you sell a Life Essential such as food and water it is easier then pushing luxury items such as the Frappe. We are always marketing and using new ways to promote that business from loyalty scheme to radio adverts. It works but you always need to adapt to weather, seasons etc. The water and resto are much easier as get repeat business and commercial clients.

Next year we will open second water station and a Rice Store/Sales.

In my opinion the best advice is don't invest what you can't lose! I have found it fun, even at a distance, to have these businesses to think about as i get closer to moving full time.

Just my thoughts.

Paul

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulB said:

In my opinion the best advice is don't invest what you can't lose! I have found it fun, even at a distance, to have these businesses to think about as i get closer to moving full time.

Just my thoughts.

Paul

Excellent advice Paul!  I always said to consider your losses as a donation, otherwise you will have many sleepless nights and possibly stress related heart attacks.  

9 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Just my opinion that its much easier here.

And it is a valid opinion.  You are correct that my comment insinuated that the start ups do not go well.  That is just my observation and it is the reason why I ask forum members to post additional comments after they have been in business for a year or two.

One of the most common themes on this forum is about ways of making a business work.  Of course it can be done, just look around and you will see it being done.  But the longer I am here the more it looks like they did not always go well. I also notice that a common theme among those who invest in a business here is:

9 hours ago, PaulB said:

In my opinion the best advice is don't invest what you can't lose!

That is another valid opinion.  Keep them coming all you long term members who tried your hand at a business.  New members and old want to know.

Wish the OP all the best. Not sure just how relevant previous food experience in the west would be here. Price appears to be dominant from what I have  observed.

Would advise 3 issues to look out for.jealously jealously and jealously.

Seen it destroy several good well related small restos. 

• Like 2

out of Stock.jpg Ring any bells? My wife used to help small traders with their accounts, the startling thing was that the majority of failures were due in a big way to Supply. Keeping a good stock,  replenishment and stock Rotation  and having a Good Supply chain of things that are needed usually daily and certainly weekly. In her experience people will stop going to places that are constantly out of Stock or off the menu today because of  lack of Ingredients. For me, if I go to even Jollibee or Chow King (They are Big culprits of this) If they do not have the One I like, we move on,

Needless to say, she stopped this little practice as eventually she could see that within a certain amount of time the revenue would not pay for her meagre bill, so why Bother.

Moral, Keep a check on Stock Rotation (For dates) Regular stock Checks for replenishment (and seeking Loss:whistling:)

Starting a business may be the easy Part, keeping it going really is another and if you are the Man /Lady at the Top, Hold those reins fairly taut.

Think Stock:thumbsup:

Jack:smile:

Morning All:photo-109:

• Like 1

On 13/10/2017 at 7:57 PM, fillipino_wannabe said:

We opened a small restaurant a month ago(40 seats) in a small town, population of 80k people. Going well so far. Not sure what Siargao is like but all the restos here suck lol.

Curious, what type of menu do you have,  local meals predominately or some foreign recipes?