Wearing watches ( as a daily issue)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Jake said:

use to wear a self winding watch as long as you keep your wrist in motion. 

Great idea.  Maybe i'll get one for Lynne :boom:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Yet my friend as member Reeboot says they are highly regarded (G-Shocks) do you not think maybe you are Advertising this Status Symbol as a come and get me.

I have no wish to offend you or prolong this line of Postings but How many times have we said be Low key and never flash your stuff when out.

Just saying my friend :wink:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the obvious - that most G-Shocks here are fakes. The great thing about G-Shocks, unlike a Rolex or Omega fake is that you can find a fake very similar to the real deal. I bought my BIL a fake G-Shock last year in Ayala Mall - paid $10 for it. It so happened that at the time I owned the same model and I could barely tell the difference.

I used to be a watch guy; I hate to use the "collector" word, but that's what I was. I mostly owned dive and sports watches. In preparation for my move here I sold all my expensive watches and kept a few cheap ones. I wear my Seiko Monster most often; it's a $100 watch.

But back to the original question of why wear one. I love watches, but time keeping is the least of my interests. Like everyone else I have a phone if I really want to know the time. Nor do I use a watch to track other people's timeliness. If someone is late for beers I start without them lol.

It's partly fashion, partly the history, partly the mechanical aspect of the thing, and partly because I am from a generation where a good watch meant something to the owner. Also 2 of the watches I kept were presents from my wife and have an extra meaning based on that. They're cheap but I love them.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jake said:

I use to wear a self winding watch as long as you keep your wrist in motion.  

It's called a "sal-sal" watch.....he, haw.  

A good automatic watch is one of the great inventions ever. The mechanicals of some of them are extraordinary.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, davewe said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the obvious - that most G-Shocks here are fakes.

Well Snowy did say it, but in such a round about way that some may have missed the point :mocking:

3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

As for the G Shock watch I think like Rolex you are pretty safe wearing them here as most of the locals have ones that must have fell of the back of a truck. I can't walk more than a few hundred metres here without being offered one for sale. All genuine copies obviously.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I never wear a watch for work, but i do like to wear my watch at weekends or if i am going out at night, i have two both brought from the Phils and they are both Tug Hughie make , i think they should be Tag Heuer, :smile:, joking aside they work they look good and they where cheap and best of all they do what the most expensive watch in the world does too.

Cheap as chips , but  am never late .by the way I do know someone who has the G shock watch and here they cost around £300 and he has 5 , why i asked , he wanted different colours .

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

I never wear a watch here.  My Filipino husband doesn't either. 

Many times I don't even know what day of the week it is,( sometimes the month!) and have to check.:smile:  Is that because of "Island Time""?

I guess that wearing a watch here is more of a fashion statement, and not meant to rely on.:smile:

• Like 5

Clermont
Posted
Posted

When I first went to the PI a few years back I asked the wife if she wanted a watch, she took me into a store and haggled out a price for two watches, 300 peso's for the two."No i meant a good watch", why was her response someone while only snatch a good one. So in my observation of posts on watches, why set yourself up to be a target if it's only the time you're after. The watch lasted 6 months. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Castaway said:

so I show it off as a status symbol.

I tend to think the point has been missed, No matter if it is a genuine one a knock off or whatever, Flash it around and you make yourself a tartget

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Flash it around and you make yourself a tartget

That is the conventional wisdom, and yet I have mentioned I always wear my Seiko, and you know I go walking anywhere the mood takes me.  I am not covering it with long sleeve shirts but neither am I constantly admiring it.  

So I am inclined to believe that a watch, worn in an inconspicuous way, and not accompanied by chains and bracelets and other bling, does not make me a target,  at least no more so than having an expensive cell phone sticking out of my pocket.  But if I am wrong you will have the satisfaction, one day, of saying "I told you so" :whistling:

Now on second reading I see you say "Flash it around" and I do not do that.  Obviously not or you would have noticed by now that I wear a watch every time you see me :thumbsup:

• Like 4