Wearing watches ( as a daily issue)

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

:89: I was not sure where to put this at First but in the story lies a local or 2 so not to keep it exclusively to either us and them  :shades: (term used loosely) but a question at the end. I put it here under culture. mainly because it seems some of the culture is getting reversed.

Now we can and have all moaned about Filipino Time management but I am noticing more and more Locals wearing a watch so one has to wonder why the bad management of time. (usually late comes to mind) Yet Westerners, us (the Foreigner from the West mainly not other Asians) seem to be wearing them less and less.

I smile now:smile: because I sit and think (Yes!) if we get so het up about Time (Although most are Retired here so no need to worry about time all the time) why don't I for one, wear a watch. I have had 5 watches since I came full time and each can't be mended for whatever reason, So I gave up

My Question is how many of us now wear a watch daily? If you do Why? (Do you have a date or important appointment :wub: or :56da64a413b01_3_12_311:  :whistling:

Jack:mellow:

Morning all:photo-109:

I have a clock on my cellphone so I don`t need a watch.

• Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I see you say "Flash it around" and I do not do that.

Maybe not but I bet you have seen many that do, What you say is right and because you use the watch as a watch and not a Status Symbol somewhat supports my Thinking :wink: Status symbols are that, flashed around YES?

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Never worn a watch for over 15 years, stopped wearing them when I first came to the Philippines. Heard stories about don't bring attention to yourself. Even in England I stopped wearing them, just used my phone.

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, virginprune said:

As for Filipinos and watches, I believe they are all set at 'soon' regarding their timekeeping :smile:

That must the new style. My SO's says "in a while". 

Personally, I haven't worn a watch in years. Mostly due to work - no jewelry at all for safety reasons. And when here in the Phils, one less thing to worry about getting stolen. 

• Like 2

Castaway
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Thinking :wink: Status symbols are that, flashed around YES?

5 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

As for the G Shock watch I think like Rolex you are pretty safe wearing them here as most of the locals have ones that must have fell of the back of a truck.

My status (that I'm flashing around) is that I'm a 'Wannabe-Pinoy.'

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Castaway said:

My status (that I'm flashing around) is that I'm a 'Wannabe-Pinoy.'

Yes my friend it sounds that way but being silly apart here by us Both of us, I think you will agree that most of us are of the same opinion, Low profile is best in the majority if instances :wink: out on the Streets :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Castaway
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Low profile is best in the majority if instances :wink: out on the Streets :thumbsup:

Agreed!... but if you ever saw me on the street, you'd see that I come across as 'low profile' (even with my watch). :smile:

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

I very rarely wear a watch since I retired. If I need to know the time then I can look at my cellphone. 

Ken

davewe
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That is the conventional wisdom, and yet I have mentioned I always wear my Seiko, and you know I go walking anywhere the mood takes me.  I am not covering it with long sleeve shirts but neither am I constantly admiring it.  

So I am inclined to believe that a watch, worn in an inconspicuous way, and not accompanied by chains and bracelets and other bling, does not make me a target,  at least no more so than having an expensive cell phone sticking out of my pocket.  But if I am wrong you will have the satisfaction, one day, of saying "I told you so" :whistling:

Now on second reading I see you say "Flash it around" and I do not do that.  Obviously not or you would have noticed by now that I wear a watch every time you see me :thumbsup:

My cheap Seiko was always my travel watch because it was cheap and waterproof. I've worn it to Africa, the Caribbean, Asia, Mexico, etc. specifically because it functions well but I don't worry about losing it or getting it stolen.

All that said, one of my 1st trips to the Philippines, someone I met admired the watch and gushed about it. So Jack may well be correct. But nonetheless I've never felt like a target - at least not based on the watch.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, davewe said:

But nonetheless I've never felt like a target - at least not based on the watch.

Strange things can happen here Dave at any time anywhere, if they want something they will try, You are still new to all this never be too complacent mate :thumbsup:

Edited by Jack Peterson