Are Filipinos Racists?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Here in the Pis racism is still more socially acceptable, so it is more openly displayed.  Whether they are more or less racist... I do not know. Coming from Texas I assure you that racism is still alive and well in the  US (unfortunately).  In Japan there were a lot of establishments with signs saying no foreigners, and in Korea I was thrown out of a store for being white (I do not speak Korean but I recognize cussing in any language).  The world is what it is, a lot of improvement have been made, and a lot still to go.

Here they are more open about a lot of things.  When an extremely dark black person goes by, people will openly stare and comment. Also, all black foreigners are referred to as African American, even if they are from Nigeria.  They do the same with someone with any visible disability too, though.  It is not just race; it is anything that sets you apart from the norm.  I think a lot has to do with the way they seem to be taught to blend in... and not everyone blends...

• Like 4

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't really have any discussion cooked up on this as of yet except to say that I don't mind being called, "Hey Joe!" I often call back, "Hey, Juan!" When I hear them, that is.

I do have this story which might fit in well here: I was working as a daytime janitor or "porter" as they titled it, for one of Seattle's large cleaning companies. One fellow who came through as a helper was Filipino. One day we were talking and he suddenly asked me, "Why do you do this?"

I said, "What do you mean?"

"I know why I do this and why the black guys do this but why do you do it? "he asked. "You're white." 

I explained that color wasn't the only thing that dictated class in America.

Edited by JDDavao
  • Like 4

Reboot
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Castaway said:

'When I was a kid, I was told that if I ever met white people, I should be friendly towards them and greet them “hey Joe”. I learned later on that it is not cool to call a Caucasian “hey Joe.”'

I found this to be interesting since at least one Filipino (the writer of this topic) was made aware about how saying "hey Joe" to a Caucasian "is not cool."

I heard that once or twice in the Phils. Doesn't bother me in the least. I don't think they mean it in a derogatory way for the most part, so if isn't said to give offense, then why should I take offense? 

• Like 1

Lou49
Posted
Posted

I don’t get offended when someone says “hey joe”, in most cases they mean no harm. Even if it was meant to insult me it still would not bother me because that person is just displaying his ignorance. No big deal for me.

• Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I get called "Hey Kano" more than "Hey Joe", but I hear one or the other all day while I am out.  I take it as it comes.  If it is a friendly greeting - how could I be offended by it? 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Shouldn't you be called  TIO JOE

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Show me someone, anyone that is not racist in any way  :thumbsup: answers on a Postage Stamp please :smile: 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Eldon Cordrey
Posted
Posted

Yes Filipinos are racist but racism is different in the Philippines.  They have an inferiority complex. I say that being a colony caused this.  Also do you know the history of the term Filipino?  It has not always applied to all the people from the Philippines.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Eldon Cordrey said:

Yes Filipinos are racist but racism is different in the Philippines.  They have an inferiority complex. I say that being a colony caused this.  Also do you know the history of the term Filipino?  It has not always applied to all the people from the Philippines.

Welcome.jpg to the forum my friend. Maybe as you come from a country that was once a colony do you feel an inferiority complex, I doubt it but:whistling: I guess Filipinos come from the Philippines as you are American because you are from the US of America, but if this is not right please feel free to educate us

Jack:huh:

Morning All:photo-109: ( Up early as it is Blood and Lab tests today )

• Haha 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic